Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder heads

My 2008 crf250r with a 2006 head that I bought off ebay 60 hrs ago needs new valves. I may just buy a new oem head and install kibblewhite valves. What is the best year head 07 08 or 09? Also the 06 head has sx151 scribed in the back right corner, and looks like a none factory finish inside the intake port. so I think it may be ported. Can anyone give me any information on what sx 151 means, if this is a known builder? Also how can i confirm that it is a 2006 r head and not an x or a different year? Finally does a new oem head need the seats cut before installing valves or is it ready to go? Thank you for any information you can give.

20160117_200341.jpg

20160117_200300.jpg

You shouldnt need to spend any extra for that, new heads have the seats ready for valves.

There is always the possibility of an exception but normally there is no problem.

I would go with the newer 08,09 head.

I ordered a new 07 head, with seats and kb ss valves already installed for like 6 or 700.

"KRN" is the Honda Product code for the CRF250R, if an X the code would be "KSC".

I don't know how to tell the year from markings but the Rick Ramsey web site has pictures of intake ports that show the differences between years.

Ok thanks I think I'm gonna get an 08 head and kibllewhite valves I can do it for under 600 at my local shop. Thanks for all the info

Does anybody know if the X series heads actually have KSC printed on them instead of KRN. I’ve looked everywhere and cannot find any good pictures to tell.

My 2008 CRF250X has big KSCH letters casted to the above/left of the intake port (back of head facing carb)

California and '08 (?) and later 49-state model X heads can also be ID'd by the PAIR system fitting points ('smog air pump')

with the vacuum line's nipple threads on the right side of the intake port and, the injection air tube mounting boss above the exhaust port.

Early 49 state X and, all model year R's would not have the PAIR system fittings.

Edited by mlatour