Sign in to follow this  

How do i know when to rebuild?

I have a 2010 crf250r with 150hrs on it, and about 100 of it is all enduro riding/racing. The rest is motocross. The bike still runs really strong but my friends keep telling me that I need to rebuild it soon. how do i know when before it blows up?

I have a 2010 crf250r with 150hrs on it, and about 100 of it is all enduro riding/racing. The rest is motocross. The bike still runs really strong but my friends keep telling me that I need to rebuild it soon. how do i know when before it blows up?

You don't want to push it. It is better to rebuild before damage is done. If the piston flips or the skirt cracks, your in for a new cylinder. I have read of guys pulling them at 120 hrs and they were within spec, is that a chance you want to take? factory spec is 50 hrs, but I think that's assuming your racing. I feel like 100 hrs is plenty of use for as cheap as a top end is.

If i rebuild now, do i only replace the piston head? Or do i have to do anything to the cylinder?

You never really know until you get in there, but generally the piston with rings, wrist pin & circlip, along with some gaskets. sometimes the valvetrain needs serviced, such as guides & tensioners. that crf is also going to need valve clearances checked, which is much easier while you have the head off anyway. while the head is off you can inspect the cylinder to make sure it's in good shape and doesn't need honed.

look up a good how-to, there are even good videos as well.. .and most importantly, get a good service manual

150hrs since new?your about 100hrs overdue..you think it still runs well now,wait till it fresh

When you get the cylinder of I would recommend to check on your crank rod and bearing

• Like 2