Sign in to follow this  

Dry run - for your entertainment

Doing a baja trip in feb. Today I am making the guys going with me prove their bike can go 100 miles. I told them to load their bikes and backpacks just like they will on the real trip. I am taking them on about a 100 mile 6 hour ride thru sand and mountains. Doing everything I can think of to make sure our trip goes smoothly. Anyone else ever do dumb stuff like this?

• Like 2

Doing a baja trip in feb. Today I am making the guys going with me prove their bike can go 100 miles. I told them to load their bikes and backpacks just like they will on the real trip. I am taking them on about a 100 mile 6 hour ride thru sand and mountains. Doing everything I can think of to make sure our trip goes smoothly. Anyone else ever do dumb stuff like this?

Sort of, I generally limit who I ride with to known friends and acquaintances who have demonstrated through the years that they and their equipment are reliable but then....

I don't like riding with folks who I can't trust or don't know well. For me the perfect group size is 4 riders, but 2-4 is OK. Four is preferred because if a rider or their bike is down there is someone to wait with them while the other two go for help.

I never have been a large group organizer in part because a wise friend once suggested to me that waiting for a date when every one (or many) can go will mean fewer rides, if you find one other who is excited about going you have your group, if it works out that others are free and wan to go so much the better. 

Bruce

• Like 2

Sort of, I generally limit who I ride with to known friends and acquaintances who have demonstrated through the years that they and their equipment are reliable but then....

I don't like riding with folks who I can't trust or don't know well. For me the perfect group size is 4 riders, but 2-4 is OK. Four is preferred because if a rider or their bike is down there is someone to wait with them while the other two go for help.

I never have been a large group organizer in part because a wise friend once suggested to me that waiting for a date when every one (or many) can go will mean fewer rides, if you find one other who is excited about going you have your group, if it works out that others are free and wan to go so much the better. 

Bruce

Well said, I've always felt like 4 is the perfect number for riders, but it always seems to be a little more than that.  

• Like 1

Ride went great. All 3 bikes are getting 40+ mpg. Only 1 crash. Newb stuck a front tire in a rain rut going down a steep hill. Flew over the handlebars. No damage to him or the bike. I think these guys are ready for a baja trip.

• Like 2

Yep, I've made rider/bike demonstrate fuel range in actual conditions before going - sure.  Even if last 20 miles is pretty close to the truck in case they don't make it. 

• Like 1

ehall, just get your new Baja buddies to slow down and look around for the first couple of days until they get familiar with Baja terrain! you all can race your face off at home, but Baja is a long way from the hospital, ride accordingly! just a tip from a Canadian dude that has been down there a bunch of times.

• Like 1

Ehall is no dummy I rode with him,he knows all about baja.My ride yesterday.around corner.IMG_1377.JPGIMG_1387.JPG  I will not ride with Racer Mentality first to hospital.Riding is dangerous as it is.

That's a nasty washout. That would of been a bad trip. I can't be too picky about riding partners, otherwise I would be solo all the time. These guys aren't new to riding but they are new to riding away from the truck for days at a time. It's a different mindset, self preservation.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I am the only one who knows where we are going and where we are staying.

• Like 1

Yeah, those are rough and sometimes very hard to find a way around. Please - be safe.

Ehall is no dummy I rode with him,he knows all about baja.My ride yesterday.around corner.📎IMG_1377.JPG📎IMG_1387.JPG  I will not ride with Racer Mentality first to hospital.Riding is dangerous as it is.

• Like 1