Sign in to follow this  

How do you like the crf 230?

Looking to get a bike for my dad, between the drz 125l and the crf 230. Already considered the Ttr 230. How good do they perform? Any years to stay away from? What are they good for? What are they bad for?

I like mine quite a bit.  There's really no "bad" years but it seems like some after market parts tend to skip over certain years due to design changes.  I've seen it a few times but the only exact example I can come up with is the Clarke desert tank.  It's only available for the '08-'09 and '12.  This is due to subtle changes (like tank mounts) over the years.  Another is some minor changes to the carb starting in '06.

Other than that, and some aesthetics, the 230F is basically identical from 03-16.  What that means is don't focus on a specific year.group.  Just find a 230F that appears to be in good shape or is at a good price and maybe has some mods to it.  Honestly, the 230F is so reliable, only intentional malice would probably kill it, and even then, it'd might take awhile.

• Like 3

All of us around here love our CRF230F's. Dependable low maintenance little tractor of a bike. Excellent in the woods, terrible on the track. The 230 has the power to go about anywhere but not so much that you get yourself in trouble with the throttle. Plus the electric start is great for us old guys.

• Like 2

Like the 230 best in our fleet of bikes,About the only thing.You have to do,change,or revalve rear shock.My bike stock,I could not set on seat.Rear shock will beat you to death/or hurt you stock.

• Like 1

I like mine quite a bit.  There's really no "bad" years but it seems like some after market parts tend to skip over certain years due to design changes.  I've seen it a few times but the only exact example I can come up with is the Clarke desert tank.  It's only available for the '08-'09 and '12.  This is due to subtle changes (like tank mounts) over the years.  Another is some minor changes to the carb starting in '06.

Other than that, and some aesthetics, the 230F is basically identical from 03-16.  What that means is don't focus on a specific year.group.  Just find a 230F that appears to be in good shape or is at a good price and maybe has some mods to it.  Honestly, the 230F is so reliable, only intentional malice would probably kill it, and even then, it'd might take awhile.

I forgot to add,the Clark over size gas tank does fit 03 up 230s.With very minor,mods to fit it.It does bolt on.PTDC0010.JPG

• Like 1

I forgot to add,the Clark over size gas tank does fit 03 up 230s.With very minor,mods to fit it.It does bolt on.📎PTDC0010.JPG

That's good to know.  I know some guys had made some brackets to relocate the tank mounts but not everyone has the capability to do that, even if it is relatively easy.

The 230f is bullet proof reliable, of course one could purposely never change the engine oil or never clean the air filter ( or not clean and re-oil it properly and destroy the engine, but even with ill intentions, it would take awhile to do so)

The rear shock is down right dangerous at speed but can be re-valved easily and cheap.

The stock tires that come on the bike new are terrible, but that's an easy fix also.

Should you chose to purchase a 230f, pick up a genuine Honda factory shop manual and study it closely.

It will answer many questions for you.

Most all of our 230f lovers here on TT will be happy to help with any questions that the manual does not cover.

Welcome aboard, have fun riding and be safe doing so.

• Like 1

I Bought one recently and really like it I Re-jetted it and unrestricted the bike its not a power house but its  a Great low maintenance  Trail bike You can get on and go and not have to worry about breaking down I Own Much bigger bikes but this little Crf230f Is Fun to Play around on............

• Like 2

I ride my 230 when I'm going somewhere I have never been because it has never let me down. I ride my KDX220 when I know the area better cause it is faster but has the tendency to foul a plug when you lug it. Just feel more comfortable with the little tractor when I know it counts. My only real complaint about the 230 now is the seat is so damn hard. It does make you stand more like you should.

• Like 2

That's good to know.  I know some guys had made some brackets to relocate the tank mounts but not everyone has the capability to do that, even if it is relatively easy.

On 04 230.The Clark tank bolted on,I had to zip tie shrouds.In front,no big deal.With my cr85 forks/also had to heat front of tank.For fork triple clamp clearance.With stock fork it would clear.

I ride my 230 when I'm going somewhere I have never been because it has never let me down. I ride my KDX220 when I know the area better cause it is faster but has the tendency to foul a plug when you lug it. Just feel more comfortable with the little tractor when I know it counts. My only real complaint about the 230 now is the seat is so damn hard. It does make you stand more like you should.

That says a lot because the KDX series is no joke. Wonderful machines.

All of us around here love our CRF230F's. Dependable low maintenance little tractor of a bike. Excellent in the woods, terrible on the track. The 230 has the power to go about anywhere but not so much that you get yourself in trouble with the throttle. Plus the electric start is great for us old guys.

That pretty much sums it up.  I would only add that you'll need to do something about the suspension and jetting.