Sign in to follow this  

Snapped water spigot bolt on 2004 CRF450R head

Need some advice.

I snapped a water spigot bold, on the head, right next to the exhaust port. Yeah I know, sucks !

I'm going to drill the old bolt out and retap a new thread. I've done this before in different places / bikes, so I feel OK about doing this. BUT, I am just a little concerned with the risk of drilling too far, and maybe penetrating the fluid jacket. I'm not sure of what's precisely behind the water spigot thread. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Whu dont you drill a small hole and use a screw extractor? That way you wont damage the original threads.

If there's some sticking out you can cut a slot in it with a Dremel w/cutoff wheel, heat it and screw it out. If not, I'd go the extractor method suggested before I drilled it and cut new threads. Just heat it because if you snap the extractor off you're screwed.

Thanks Both replies offer great advice. I'll try the extractor method 1st, with some light heat to that part of the head.

So, just out of interest, and assuming either of you might know, what's behind the water spigot thread? Is it the cavity for the head stud, or the water jacket? I can't quite tell from my view. I'm not planning on removing the head again, as I've had it off twice to do some valve work (done messing with it), so I'll be doing this extraction in situ. Radiator will be off obviously.

Thanks Both replies offer great advice. I'll try the extractor method 1st, with some light heat to that part of the head.

So, just out of interest, and assuming either of you might know, what's behind the water spigot thread? Is it the cavity for the head stud, or the water jacket? I can't quite tell from my view. I'm not planning on removing the head again, as I've had it off twice to do some valve work (done messing with it), so I'll be doing this extraction in situ. Radiator will be off obviously.

No idea here.