Sign in to follow this  

Help Purchasing yz250f

Wanting to purchase a yz250f to run a few local desert racing scrambles 75 mile races found an 03 original owner bike still has original tires for a great price. I was wanting to go with an 06 because of the aluminum frame but I've owned and raced a 01 yz426 loved that thing. 03 would make the bike 13 years old but I'm not out there to become a pro or win a championship I just wanted to go have fun and race again. Any opinions would be much appreciated

If the price is right. Go for it! Yamahas are very reliable. Same maintenance as your 426. Keep fresh oil and filter, keep a clean air filter in it every ride. And adjust the check and adjust valves ever couple rides.

Sounds like a realistic racing goal. We have a local guy running, and winning, on a 2006. He's not a pro or expert, but his physical fitness and ability to read terrain more than make up for any perceived or real shortcomings in equipment. I asked him what stressed him about racing the 06 vs newer bikes, and he said it was starting after a crash or stall when it gets hot. But he's got it down and so far it's not been an issue. As others have stated, the 03 is reliable as they come when the owner does their part with maintenance. Have fun!