Sign in to follow this  

Favorite MX tires?

I have a 05 Yz250f and could Def use a new back tire. My front tire looks to be in good shape but was wondering if changing both to the same model tire was important.

I am looking for a good intermediate grade tire any recommendations or previous experiences with a make and model you liked?

This is my first time ordering tires so any advice would be great Thanks!

I use the m403/404 combo currently, I wasnt sure of exactly what I wanted but I got them cheap. They are a good everywhere tire, I ride in hard pack trails sometimes and then in northern MI sand the rest of the time and they arent perfect for either, but not horrible. I believe they have been replaced now so that probably wont be much help, I think they call them X30 or something(the number is wrong im sure).

It is not inportant for the tires to be the same make front and back, youll probably find at least half of people dont have matching tires. Im interested in the replies as Ill probably need a new set before too long after the snow melts.

Edited by CRFRida1605
  • Like 1

Agree with nascar. I have the mx32 on one bike and LOVE them. The only prob is they wear out quickly on hardpack terrain/tracks. I just put the 52s on my kids bike but we haven't had it out yet. Rumor is it works great and holds up a little better than the 32. I figure when the kids are buying their own tires they can put on the ones they want, til then they get ones that last a little longer.

• Like 1

To OP, also depends if your intermediate conditions tend to turn hard once the track dries out,

or if sometimes track conditions are rather 'soft' due over-watering. Any sand in certain sections ?

As most 'which tire' threads you"ll get 100 different answers, some people are fans of specific brands,

some prefer to trade off longetivity for better traction or vice-versa.

What type of riding do you do ?

Any trail/off-roading, or race only ?

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

To categorizes a few popular motocross tires by intended terrain, in no particular order:

'intermediates' :

Michelin Starcross 5 medium

Bridgestone X30 / M403/404

Pirelli MX-Extra-x

Maxxis IT

Mid-soft :

Michelin MS3

Pirelli MS32

Dunlop MX32

Mid-hard:

Michelin MH3

Pirelli MX554

Dunlop MX52

Soft terrain:

Pirelli MX410

Michelin Starcross 5 soft

Dunlop MX11

Hard terrain:

Michelin Starcross 5 hard, HP4

Pirelli MX486

Dunlop MX71

Bridgestone X40

By experience, if your 'intermediate-to-hard' terrain conditions also include a bit of softer terrain/sand,

the Michelin MH3 is an equaly good performer in the soft, the Bridgestone X30 / M403/404 not so much...

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

To OP, also depends if your intermediate conditions tend to turn hard once the track dries out,

or if sometimes track conditions are rather 'soft' due over-watering. Any sand in certain sections ?

As most 'which tire' threads you"ll get 100 different answers, some people are fans of specific brands,

some prefer to trade off longetivity for better traction or vice-versa.

What type of riding do you do ?

Any trail/off-roading, or race only ?

Cool thanks man I mostly just ride in tracks, I'm here in FL and I would say 70% of where I ride is soft and pretty Sandy conditions. I would say 3 of the tracks I ride are intermediate the other 2 sand tracks.

Personnaly I think a "mid-soft' would be preferable in those conditions.

Intermediates usualy don't perform very well in sand, one exception being the MH3.

My local tracks are soft/sandy/loamy with very occasional harder soil, but never hardpacked.

I've tried both the MS3 and Pirelli MS32, I find the Michelin offers better side traction (more confident leaning over while cornering)

although I've never tried one, recent posts on TT mention the Dunlop MX32 tends to rip knobs easier when terrain gets harder.

Better yet, if ever your budget would allow for a spare rear wheel / tire assy.

you could have tires even better suited to those type of tracks, a dedicated 'soft' and 'intermediate'.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Personnaly I think a "mid-soft' would be preferable in those conditions.

Intermediates usualy don't perform very well in sand, one exception being the MH3.

My local tracks are soft/sandy/loamy with very occasional harder soil, but never hardpacked.

I've tried both the MS3 and Pirelli MS32, I find the Michelin offers better side traction (more confident leaning over while cornering)

although I've never tried one, recent posts on TT mention the Dunlop MX32 tends to rip knobs easier when terrain gets harder.

Better yet, if ever your budget would allow for a spare rear wheel / tire assy.

you could have tires even better suited to those type of tracks, a dedicated 'soft' and 'intermediate'.

Hell yeah man thanks for the advice really good to know. It would be cool to have spare tires for each track condition one day I plan on doing that forsure. Mid soft sounds like a good fit for the majority tracks I ride looking forward to getting new tires soon!!

Real quick now putting them on..is there a special tool or trick to getting the tires on and off the rim?

Most important thing you need is patience!

It's easy to loose your cool and get hurt if not familiar with the proper method.

Also common for beginners to take too deep a bite with the spoons and damage the innertube.

At a minimum, 2-3 tire spoons, a bottle of soapy water, a valve core remover, you can use a plastic pail for a work stand.

It's also much easier if you leave the old and new tires out in the sun for a few hours before as it softens up the rubber.

There are many how-to video on YouTube.

here's a common method to slightly pre-inflate the innertube

(he uses special tire paste instead of soapy water)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Most important thing you need is patience!

It's easy to loose your cool and get hurt if not familiar with the proper method.

Also common for beginners to take too deep a bite with the spoons and damage the innertube.

At a minimum, 2-3 tire spoons, a bottle of soapy water, a valve core remover, you can use a plastic pail for a work stand.

It's also much easier if you leave the old and new tires out in the sun for a few hours before hand as it softens up the rubber.

There are many how-to video on YouTube

here's a common method to slightly pre-inflate the innertube

(he uses special tire paste instead of soapy water)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6I2KLqucA

Cool man thanks, really appreciate all the advice!! Looking forward to making the tire change soon!

• Like 1

I am running the x30 on front and x40 in rear. IMO, the x30 is a better all around tire. The x40 is good on hardpack, but pretty much stops there. It washes out fairly easily in soft/loamy soil. 

Also, when it comes to tire changing, pick up a couple of 17" spoons and 1-2 bead buddies. Makes the job so much easier. 

I just got the x30 rear, what a tire! Cheaper than dunlops, traction is right on par, but lasts longer. Favorite tire made right now!

I'm really liking the new starcross 5 medium