Sign in to follow this  

Tall man blues

What can I do?  I am 6'4" and trying to get all wadded up to ride is getting to be a chore anymore.  I have plans to raise the bars, I have some ape hangers from my Softail I can use.  It is like I could use a 6" pad to raise the seat.  I could lower the pegs, but I don't want to drag my feet.  Besides if I lower the pegs, I have to lower the brake lever and the shifter (be careful how I type that one, whew).

PDRM0428.JPG

I can vouch for the rocky mountain bar risers as a bit of help. It doesnt change the world, but it helps and its cheap.

The slightly lower 450 pegs made essentially no difference to me, honestly.

I see a lot of positive feedback on taller seats and hi bend bars.

6'2" here. Tall seat helps lengthen the short distance found on a dirt bike between between hip and ankles. 

I'm 6'-5".  I like RG3 clamps and they have a +5mm up and +3mm forward bar mount for them.  I use Renthal Twinwall bars with the CR High bend (99mm) or the Windham bend (98mm) for MX and RC High bend (120mm) for woods.  I use 08+ YZ450F foot pegs on all my bikes.  They're a bit wider and lower.  I didn't think they would make much difference, but I love them.  Honestly, though, I think it's the width that I like.  I'm not a fan of the high seat.  It makes me feel too top heavy, especially in corners.  At 250+, I need to get my COG as low as possible.  I'm very comfortable on my bikes.

Tall bars and tall seat help a lot. I run pastrana bars with a small riser with the bars all the way forward. Then a tall seat from ee to help with the butt to foot distance.

Im 6'2", I have tried bar risers which help a little, haven't tried lower pegs yet as Im close enough to smashing my feet already at times. Not being able to squeeze the bike with my knees (more like mid shins) is my first issue, and next is finding a riding position where my back isn't killing me after 2-3 hours of riding. Maybe thats just the reality of riding however? 

I did notice that finding the right bar bend for me seemed to help more than just adding risers. In fact I think I took the risers out after getting the right bend.

Edited by 5Lgreenback
  • Like 1

None of you tall guys are getting any sympathy from me.  I'm tired of watching you guys paddle over or through obstacles while those of us at 5'8" or less get hung up and topple over like drunken sailors 'cause we can't touch the ground!

• Like 4

I'm 6'2" and find the pro taper mini high bars to be great for me, especially on my woods bike. They are the perfect width so I can use them without cutting them down.

None of you tall guys are getting any sympathy from me.  I'm tired of watching you guys paddle over or through obstacles while those of us at 5'8" or less get hung up and topple over like drunken sailors 'cause we can't touch the ground!

Haha fair enough