Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR250 - any good ?

I've been offered an '85 XR250 for not much money. It runs and rides but is a bit tatty. Mostly i want it for field use and fun, my MTX125 proved pretty unsuitable being more motocross orientated.

I've done some looking and the '85 had twin carbs, these come with the bike, but its been converted to a single carb, albeit running through only one of the air box feeds. I wonder if the airfeed on the proper single carb models was bigger ?

Being an '85 it should be the later lighter model, and according to what i could find should make 30bhp, but this seems quite a lot from an old 250. Its also pretty short wheel base and steep steering by todays standards but i'm ok with that.

Anyone got any views good or bad about this bike ?

84 was a new chassis and engine design for the XR250R and the smaller displacement XR200R, both twin carb.  If the cylinder head has a single intake port then the head is 86+.  A better single carb conversion is to use the 86-95 single carb air boot with a single carb. They are not 30hp engines, more like 20 on a good day.

The twin carb engines were produced for only 2 years and replacement parts are very difficult to find, the 86-95 engine had a different bore/stroke and a Siamese intake port for a single carb.

It would be nice to know what the engine is before buying.

• Like 1

i have an 86xl250r which is twin carb and i use the bike for everything street/trail and working int he fieelds on the fam and on the range moving cattle , the bike works great for it .

i would buy a pair of stock carbs off ebay and put it back to a dual carb setup , i have had zero issues with my dual carb setup, im switching to a single carb setup soon as i can find a complete single carb cyl head that they dont want 300$ for , if i come up with one in the near future i could sell u my twin carb setup off mine.

the only reason i am making the switch to a single carb setup is because i am building a turbo kit on my bike , and with the dual carbs the plenum takes up to much room so its hard to fit a battery on the bike as well 

ok - i hadn't realised the head was different from twin to single carb. the seller is throwing in the dual carbs as part of the sale, and i see the dual air box is still in place, so maysomeone has just stuck a single carb and blanked off the other inlet - doesn't sound like a good recipe.

i'm going back this weekend to have a ride as i didn't have a helmet with me when i dropped in last weekend.

-i need to check its the right dual carb head, and if so i can put it back to dual, i have an ultra-sonic cleaner so i can refurb and twins. if the head has been changed, then may as well stick with it and get it running right I guess. I did see a head knocking around his workshop but no cams in it. didn't think anything of it at the time, Is the rest of the head the same from double to single carb or all totally different do you know ?

The engine has RFVC on the head and is listed on DVLA as manufactured in 1985

this is what said 30hp http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r%2084.htm

Picture here https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0puce724aka1uk/IMG_1526.JPG?dl=0

It doesn't smoke when running so i'm hoping not to get into a big rebuild, though I am capable if parts are not rare and expensive otherwise its gonna prove an expensive project like my XT350 is.

thanks for help

I'd say that bike is the real deal, it would sure make me happy to have it. I'd get it and put it back as close to stock as possible and then ride it around.

Edited by Undercover Poe
  • Like 1

I'd say that bike is the real deal, it would sure make me happy to have it. I'd get it and put it back as close to stock as possible and then ride it around.

I agree.

The 84/85 XR250 get put down a lot, but they can be very reliable and are a blast to ride as well as being one of the best looking XR's out there :ride:

As far as parts, I find it not to bad, I have several bikes that are way worse.

P1030524_zpsstre5vdp.jpg

Edited by MEANDMYDRZ

Mate the 84 and 85 Xr250s were prone to cracking the heads around the plug hole. They would then leak.

Probably 75% of twin carb heads out there are probably cracked.

The rest of the bike and motor is bullet proof.

Mate the 84 and 85 Xr250s were prone to cracking the heads around the plug hole. They would then leak.

Probably 75% of twin carb heads out there are probably cracked.

The rest of the bike and motor is bullet proof.

Same with the earlier 4valve twinshock models. Could run for years with a cracked head,, then be easily replaced by   a slightly less cracked one and go more years.

The 1984-85 XR200R and XR250R and the 1984 XR350R were the WORST XRs ever built.  Prone to overheating and galling the cam and camfollowers , ruining the head.  No more Heads for those bikes. If you insist on riding one of these bikes, run the best quality synthetic (Ester / PAO based) motorcycle oil you can find.  Petroleum oils will vaporize in the head due to the extreme heat. That is why Honda went back to the single carb XR350R in 1985 and the single carb XR250R.  Still had the RFVC heads but milder cams and improved oil pumps. The XR250R also went to an oil cooler system. Honda went back to the 1983 twin valved XR200R engine in 1986.  2hp less but 20lbs less weight and much more reliable. This year XR200R used basiclally the 1985 XR200 chassis.

thanks for the replies.

Gave that xr250 a miss and bought an XR400 :-)

• Like 1

thanks for the replies.

Gave that xr250 a miss and bought an XR400 :-)

Congratulations, make sure to post up some pictures!

Now I hope you realize you did miss the opportunity to own one of the(if I'm remembering correctly) one of the worst XR, actually the worst XR ever built :ride:.  I also one day would like an XR400 but I won't  let go of my 84 XR250, it's actually a great bike and very dependable!

hi everyone, i have a 1984 xr250 and the camshaft is done. its complete and looks great. does anyone have leads on camshaft? or else i will be selling this bike. im in los angeles area. thanks

The 85 XR250 is the better option over a 84 due to a slightly larger oil capacity and better oil flow to the cam lobes (anong other gremlins like carbs jetting)...although good synthetic oil/frequent oil changes are what makes these motors have longevity.

Another tip past onto me back in the day was to ensure that the motor was thoroughly warmed up ie. idled for 5 minutes to allow even heating expansion (like most engines) before riding.

I had three 85 XR250s (one from new) up until I got out of dirtbikes in 92....I kept going back to them as I liked the fact I could ride faster in the tight stuff over my modded CR250 and XR6....

Edited by Gripo
  • Like 1