Sign in to follow this  

Figuring out what kind of bike we have...

My husband recently purchased a small bike. Problem is....the seller says it's a Kawasaki body with a Honda motor but he didn't know anything about it he never changed anything on it. Well after decoding the vin I found it is a Chinese bike. I found out the manufacturer is chongqing guangyu and it's a 2005 but that's all that I can find. We need parts for it to get it running again but we can't find any markings on motor or body other than the vin and all stickers are gone. Can anyone help? I can post pictures. We want to fix it up for our young kids to get them started on it since it's a perfect size for our 7 year old daughter

Post up some pics when you can. A lot of Chinese manufacturers used a frame based on the Kawasaki klx110, others use a similar design to the crf50 frame. If it's a 110 (may say 107 cm2 on the head), or a 125 horizontal push rod motor parts are pretty easy to get. There's a TT sponsor on here called TboltUSA that you can order all the engine parts through with great feedback from members who have used them.

• Like 2

Somewhere there are numbers on the engine cases, which can be traced to manufacturer, giving possibly, the data you need.

Parts are available on line at many places that sell chinese bikes.

New chinese bikes are cheap.  Under $400  new.  Only problem is, they use cheap steel, soft steel.  So figure out how much you will be spending to fix your OLDer bike, and compare that to a new one.

goodluck

Gary

In reply to pistolmama15: Most Chinese Pit bikes use a Honda style horizontal engine that is a knock-off of the engine used in the Honda XR/CRF 50&70. There quite a few different Chinese companies building these engines, some are quite good, and others, not so much. Most of the Chinese pitbikes in recent years use a Honda CRF style frame and either CRF70 or Kawasaki KLX110 based plastics. A pic would help to identify it, some bikes do have distinct features.

Knowing the exact model is helpful, but definitely not necessary to get it running. Most parts are pretty generic and can be had cheaply on amazon,eBay, ect.

Start by making sure it has spark, and also go get a new NGK spark plug. If doesn't have spark it could be as simple as a bad coil wire or plug boot.

Clean the carburetor, and make sure the pilot jet is clean. If the carburetor is really funny, a decent replacement can be had on amazon for about $20. A carb model number like pz19 or pz20 will likely be on the carb you have.

Check the valve clearance, changes are the valves s will be to tight. Every neglected, abused small Chinese engine I've ever had had tight valves when I got it.

Tboltusa has more specific information on thier site about no start problems on Pitbike engines on thier website.