Sign in to follow this  

15 WR250F bottom end failures?

Is this happening? There is one in the local shop 37 days old with bottom end locked up. Mine was bought same place a few weeks after his. Yamaha is replacing parts at no cost but he's having to fork out the labor $1500 worth.

Is this not the same issue the 15 YZ was recalled on? I'm thinking so. I asked about this when I bought my 15 WR and was told not a problem on the WRs your vins good. Might not have been a problem officially but I think it is since they are the same engine now. Hope I'm wrong. Mine only has two rides on it, 50 miles and one complete oil and filter change. Weather has been to cold to go ride it.

The YZ recall of late was indeed on the 15s. I had the dealer check before I bought the WR. I was blown away that they share the same engine and no WRs were included.

When this new 15 WR blew locally I was even more concerned and knowing I just gave them $7800 bucks and mines out of the warranty period now and like I said I've rode it twice. I just cranked it and rode behind my house in a small wooded section some and it seems fine, bloody cold out though.

The YZ recall of late was indeed on the 15s. I had the dealer check before I bought the WR. I was blown away that they share the same engine and no WRs were included.

They're not exactly the same. The crank assembly and connecting rod are different. Looks like the YZ now gets a newer version of the same rod your WR came with. The YZ recall was for the 1SM-11651-01-00 connecting rod. The WR/FX got the 2GB-11651-00-00. Based on the late release of the FX/WR, it's quite possible the YZ recall was to switch to the 2GB-11651-00-00. But that is peculation and needs to be confirmed with a YZ owner who had the recall. The 2016 YZ gets the 2GB-11651-01-00. Part numbers in pic below.

I have 40 hrs on my FX without an issue. No other posts in this forum about WR/YZ failures. Read an article where Erek Kudla ran the NHAH series on the FX without issue. I say you ride it and be happy. No telling what happened to that one in your shop.

YZ%20vs%20WR%20crank_zpstgys1xex.jpg 

Edited by ubu

That's good information and thanks for clarifying it for me. True who knows what happened to the one in the shop. I will just go ride mine.

Edited by MS450

70 hrs on mine pal just go ride it and look after it,and don't do any silly modifications like taking the mesh out the airbox.

Is this happening? There is one in the local shop 37 days old with bottom end locked up. Mine was bought same place a few weeks after his. Yamaha is replacing parts at no cost but he's having to fork out the labor $1500 worth.

Is this not the same issue the 15 YZ was recalled on? I'm thinking so. I asked about this when I bought my 15 WR and was told not a problem on the WRs your vins good. Might not have been a problem officially but I think it is since they are the same engine now. Hope I'm wrong. Mine only has two rides on it, 50 miles and one complete oil and filter change. Weather has been to cold to go ride it.

Couple of things stand out here. $1500 for labor and 37 days old out of warranty. If it is still under warranty then Yamaha would be paying all including labor. I would suspect the owner modified or abused (dirt, no oil,,,,) the motor resulting in this damage. Even at $100 an hour labor rate that's 15 hrs to rebuild this, he needs to take it elsewhere and pay for it all which will be less then the labor! Edited by weantright

70 hrs on mine pal just go ride it and look after it,and don't do any silly modifications like taking the mesh out the airbox.

Mo powah!

$1500 for labor. Even at $100 an hour labor rate that's 150 hrs to rebuild this

You might want to run those numbers again...

• Like 2

I bought a 15 WR250F in June of last year. Main areas of concern I've had is keeping the sumbitch upright and clean. Somewhere around 1500 miles and my only issues are a bent left radiator and my shifter lever putting a dent in my engine case from a ghost ride. Oil change with new filter the first 50 and 150 miles and then about every 2 months or 2-300 miles.

Edited by onefatroach

UBU,  Thanks for pointing out the different rod part numbers.  There seems to be some real mix and matching going on between the YZF, the YZFX, and WRF.   

I am surprised that Yamaha didn't cover the full repair, but maybe there is more to the story.  Ugly oil, signs of abuse, etc?   A lot can happen in the 30 days of warranty plus another 37 days. The $1500 labor might not be too far out of line as it first sounds.  If the technician is new to working on a newer style YZF/WRF, he probably will require more shop time than someone experienced.  Also, Yamaha would probably not pay for a new crankshaft assembly, but instead cover the cost of the rod + bearing + rod pin.  This means that the technician will spend the time to rebuild the crankshaft, adding more required shop time. And, perhaps the shop is including the time spent talking with Yamaha warranty department too.

In some ways, it's commendable that Yamaha even gives a stated warranty on dirt bikes.  Go see what other dirt bike companies offer for warranty.  Most companies cover problems only if it is a widespread problem and the customer asks.

Its a good shop with a very good senior technician. He's been doing this along time. He has done top ends on my RMZ450 in 2+ hours and it always ran fine. He once rebuilt a GSXR750 of mine that had the wrong bottom end bearings in it from the factory. Never had any issues afterward on that bike and it ran strong.

Yea Suzuki doesn't give any warranty on their dirt bikes. I do not know the whole story yet on the bike in question. I will eventually find out though.

Edited by MS450