05 rm250 talk

Looking at a fully redone 05 rm250 was built as a race bike for a local two stroke national event last year.

Is there any truth or validity to the rm transmissions wearing out every 60 or so hours? I did some searching and reading around and came across a guy saying he had to replace internals every 60 like circlips and dogs. Seems pretty often!

I'm a local b rider pace riding Moto I cant imagine doing that type of wear and tear!

Yeah he's doing something wrong. The gears are good and dependable. Change the oil like any bike use the clutch on upshifts and you should be good. Change the piston as soon as you get the bike and check the crank for play while you have the top end off. I get 30-40 hours out of a piston and rings. Get an hour meter. I run sunnoco 110 mixed 50-50 with no ethanol premium, and castor 927 at 32:1. Have fun great bikes.

• Like 1

I have an 05 RM. Bought with who knows how many hours on it, but it was roached. Went through the tranny and gears/dogs were fine. Did replace a few clips. Never a problem since. Just hit 50 hours this season, no problems. Probably 25 hours the season before that. Not sure what he's doing but 60 hours seems way too short of a maintenance interval for the tranny. 

• Like 1

i ran 2 seasons on my 05 rm250 so far... i replaced pretty much the entire tranny after i bought it from a pro woods rider... everything but the shafts...
i have not had a problem with it this far. no false nuetrals no popping out of gear. i have run belray 80wt gear saver since day 1
depending on circumstances i can get almost 50 hrs on a top end. i've put 4 in the bike since i've owned it. has been an awesome bike for me.