Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak

Okay so I rebuilt my engine recently I have about 6 hours on the new rebuilt engine I replaced the crank, crank bearings and seals and piston. The bike runs great but in one of my races with the new engine I went down in a corner and my front small sprocket came off of the shaft. (The retaining clip must have broke) well we were able to fix it in the pits with some safety wire and it worked fine. But after the secound moto I came back and looked down and their we're just a little bit of oil splatter on the frame and on the side of my boot. It's not a lot but I'm guesses that the seal right their got damaged during the crash. So I'm guesses to replace the deal is have to split the case to get to it...which I really don't want to do since I already have done that. So my question is is that is their a way to temporary fix it maybe with some rtv high temp silicon? It is that deal replaceable from the outside? And also since it's a small leak I was thinking that if I just keep up on oil changes and check it often I think I would be okay. I already change the oil every 5 hours or so.

Oh and he other thing is the only time it leaks is when the bike is hot and I'm riding hard if I am just cruising or at idle or it's just siting in my garage it doesn't leak.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453147586.778326.jpg

I'm willing to bet the clip didn't break, but just wasn't seated properly after the install. That safety wire bullshit needs to be removed ASAP. Your o-rings behind the sprocket probably aren't bad at all. The stupid, redneck safety wire fix isn't forcing the sprocket to apply enough pressure onto the o-rings. But, they could be bad and for $10 it might be worth it to go ahead and replace them. If you don't already have one, get a service manual and you'll see that you don't need to split the cases to replace the seal/o-rings.