Sign in to follow this  

'15 exh cam bucket failure

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. On my '15 WR250F the decomp valve bucket shows extreme wear with the center pitted and worn. This bike only has around 40-50 hours on it with the oil changed every second ride. All the other buckets are fine and the clearances were on right in the middle of the spec. I can only think maybe my idle was too low not allowing the decomp weight enough centripetal rotation to allow it to move therefore disengaging the rotating button. I've never seen this bad of wear with this low use.

FB_IMG_14531297303821.jpg

20160118_0823231.jpg

Edited by uw153

Your diagnosis is probably correct. Correct idle speed is about 1,850 though you can get an idle as low as 1,000, at that speed, everything hammers into each other part..

Replace the bucket, inspect the decomp pin.

• Like 1

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. On my '15 WR250F the decomp valve bucket shows extreme wear with the center pitted and worn. This bike only has around 40-50 hours on it with the oil changed every second ride. All the other buckets ar curious what type of oil are you using?

e fine and the clearances were on right in the middle of the spec. I can only think maybe my idle was too low not allowing the decomp weight enough centripetal rotation to allow it to move therefore disengaging the rotating button. I've never seen this bad of wear with this low use.

Just curious what type of oil are you using?

Sounds right. How can i verify idle speed?

The GYTR Power Tuner can display that.

I'll be checking my idle speed when I get home. I'm pretty sure it's about 1800RPM though.

I just idled mine way up, always thought it was too low.

I typically run mine at just above 2000rpm. No overheating issues at that idle speed and some tend to be harder to start if the idle is too low. I also run a works connection hour meter with tach. Thats how I adjust my rpms.

I had similar marks on an exhaust bucket on my 2012 WR450F.   Someone pointed out that the decompressor does that.  I probably have a picture if you need to see it.   There is a post about it in the WR450F section.

The marks are made by the decompressor pin striking the bucket.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy