Sign in to follow this  

Scotts stabilizer on 450X

thinking about buying a scott's stabilizer (with BRP sub-mount) is it really worth it?

is it an easy installation?

can't speak for the install on the Honda but was easy on my kx and I think it is definitely worth it. It does raise your bars quite a bit,which I was looking for.

Yes get the Stabilizer, take your time and figure out what type of mount you want. Top or sub. Look around for the best price. Going direct from Scotts is usually a little more expense, even if you walk into their store.

Depends on where your riding -- I see your in CA though, so probably worth it for you 

I had one on one of my bikes and removed it without a second thought - but i ride a lot in tighter stuff where i literally can finish a 2 hour ride and my average speed is only 15 mph 

My bikes are an 05 and an 07 and both with the more raked out stock triple clamps though -- if i were riding on 08 and up clamps or aftermarket clamps with a steeper offset, i may be singing a different tune

Check Solomoto for a good price on Scotts + SUB Mount:

http://www.solomotoparts.com/BRP-SUB-Mount-Kit-w-Scotts-Stabilizer-DS-SUB-for-CRF450X-05-11/

By far the best investment for my bike, even more than the Rekluse.  If you think about it, it will pay for itself real quick.  First ride out with it I got crossrutted doing about 60.  It was sketchy as hell but I kept it on two wheels, without it I would have wrecked pretty damn good.  New radiators + Handlebars + subframe = more than the cost of a stabilizer.

Even for low speed applications it makes riding so much more controllable.  In the woods, it can soak up any wheel deflection when you hit a rut or rock and keep you tracking straight.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for your inputs, I ended up buying it.

Also got the BRP submount.

Now I need to look for some 1 1/8 bars.

Did you go with low bars in order to keep stock height  or higher bars?

thanks

• Like 1

I did a GPR damper with sub mount and still went with high rise bars. If your over 6' tall you will probably end up with high rise bars if you ride standing at all.

Thanks for your inputs, I ended up buying it.

Also got the BRP submount.

Now I need to look for some 1 1/8 bars.

Did you go with low bars in order to keep stock height  or higher bars?

thanks

Make sure you really understand, then set, the settings. If you're riding anything technical, the factory setting is WAY too stiff, and is dangerous to ride. The instruction booklet is a bit hard to follow, but you can find setting tips on youtube.

I don't have the sub mount. I have the Scott's riser mounts and CR hi Renthals. It's a good fit I'm 6'3". I'm in so cal, stock settings and I adjust the Base Valve stiffer in sand and loosen it up on trails.

Check Solomoto for a good price on Scotts + SUB Mount:

http://www.solomotoparts.com/BRP-SUB-Mount-Kit-w-Scotts-Stabilizer-DS-SUB-for-CRF450X-05-11/

By far the best investment for my bike, even more than the Rekluse.  If you think about it, it will pay for itself real quick.  First ride out with it I got crossrutted doing about 60.  It was sketchy as hell but I kept it on two wheels, without it I would have wrecked pretty damn good.  New radiators + Handlebars + subframe = more than the cost of a stabilizer.

Even for low speed applications it makes riding so much more controllable.  In the woods, it can soak up any wheel deflection when you hit a rut or rock and keep you tracking straight.

Good luck!

That's where I got mine. BRP sub mount, CR high twin wall. 6' and some change, works for me. Stock settings, eastern woods riding. Love it. Rode down in Baja with one and had to have me one of them. Other than leaning way over in a turn and hitting a big rock with the side of the tire, you just ignore everything else. I'm old and fat, so speed doesn't really play into it for me, but in Baja it did.

• Like 1

I just put the Fastway sub mount on, Saturday will be my 1st time with it. Everything I've read says it's a game changer.

I have had Scotts dampers on my cr500's, xr650's, and now my X. You get spoiled riding with them. I'm 6'5 and use the sub mount with a high bend bar.

• Like 1