Sign in to follow this  

Bead blasting a cylinder head?

Could the beads remove metal from bearing surfaces and thus ruin the head? Can it be done safely? What about leftover residue. Is it hard to clean out?

I don't see why you would want to do that.  The leftover blasting media is definitely a problem.  Depending on what you blast it with it might not eat up the head but there are certainly better ways to clean it.

I don't see why you would want to do that.  The leftover blasting media is definitely a problem.  Depending on what you blast it with it might not eat up the head but there are certainly better ways to clean it.

I wanted to get all of the carbon out of the ports. The head is 11 years old and I'm betting its never been cleaned before.

Walnut shells is the preferred media.

They used glass bead. They didn't touch the top, as in bearing surfaces. They did hit the bottom including valve seats and ports though. He used a hot tank to remove any residual residue along with putting it in a hot tank? I'm not familiar with how a hot tank works. Cleaned up nice though. Does walnut shell do as good a job as glass bead? Whats the differance? Is there a negative to using glass bead vs. walnut?image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPG

Walnut shells will clean better without damaging.

• Like 1