Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on powder coating cases

Looking for thoughts on powder coating my cases and jug and head on my bike . My last bike I built I had it painted and did not even last one season . Washed on very low pressure even. Looking for some opinions . Thanks

anodize is the proper way to go as far as scratch resistance, durability and heat transfer.

also powder coating covers the microscopic porous of the aluminum and acts as a heat insulator, though you could powder coat the side cases only if you wish but avoid head, cylinder and cases.

best is just media blast the bare aluminum 🙂

Edited by ByronK
  • Like 1

Ive never heard of people having overheating or performance issues from powder coating. With that being said I'm no expert and I've never taken a poll on the subject. Is this something you've experienced performance issues with?

anodize is the proper way to go as far as scratch resistance, durability and heat transfer.

also powder coating covers the microscopic porous of the aluminum and acts as a heat insulator, though you could powder coat the side cases only if you wish but avoid head, cylinder and cases.

best is just media blast the bare aluminum 🙂

I strongly agree with you

never had personal experience with this but is simple thermodynamics, coating the whole engine will make dissipating heat more difficult because of the powder forming a layer and because of the paint properties it will act as an "insulator".

you may not notice engine performance drop or overheating but the operating temps will rise by a few degrees so possibly at higher ambient temp you may notice overheating more easily. on the other hand is safe/good when running the engine at low ambient temps, will help to bring up the engine temp easier.

purely performance wise - bare aluminum or anodize is best choice imo.

• Like 1

lots of guys do this.. I've seen 4 stroke guys do their heads, cylinders and cases and never have reported any issue with heat. I'm sure that is true, but i doon't see the amount of heat it's preventing dissipating will not be detrimental to the engines life expectancy

How many engines came painted back in the 80's? I haven't done my cases, head or cylinder yet, but I've shot everything else on my 250 lol

IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3813.JPG

chronicsmoke, on 19 Jan 2016 - 4:00 PM, said:

lots of guys do this.. I've seen 4 stroke guys do their heads, cylinders and cases and never have reported any issue with heat. I'm sure that is true, but i doon't see the amount of heat it's preventing dissipating will not be detrimental to the engines life expectancy

How many engines came painted back in the 80's? I haven't done my cases, head or cylinder yet, but I've shot everything else on my 250 lol

Dude, reroute your front brake hose.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys my cases are soda blasted raw right now . Want to go back black like it was from the factory . It's an 89 250 . If the cases did not look a bit beat up I would leave them raw . I've seen some bikes engines fully coated . I thought it might raise the temps . But never heard anyone really say don't do it it won't work . .

Thanks for the input guys my cases are soda blasted raw right now . Want to go back black like it was from the factory . It's an 89 250 . If the cases did not look a bit beat up I would leave them raw . I've seen some bikes engines fully coated . I thought it might raise the temps . But never heard anyone really say don't do it it won't work . .

What year is your scoot?

powdercoat them its fine, will look great. these are liquid cooled engines for petes sake. And even if they werent, How many monster hp air cooled v twins have i seen with powercoating etc

• Like 1

What year is your scoot?

1989 dropped off to get coated yesterday . Will post when they get back

Thanks everyone