Sign in to follow this  

Buying a bike to flip

I was curious if any of you have had any success doing this. The reason I am asking is I found a 2005 KTM 85 SX for sale for $400. It looks great. It's clean, has new plastic, and new tires. The guy said he had a top end put in it recently and he got the bike back and it's locked up. He said it has never been run since the rebuild and the guy that worked on it won't fix it. He says he is frustrated with it and just wants it gone.

I was thinking about seeing if I could get it for $300 and mess with it and get it running. I figured if it is running good I could get maybe $1200 for it and make a little money. Worst case maybe part it out and break even.

I don't know much about the market for 85's but I figured since it's orange it wouldn't be too hard to unload on Craigslist.

Any thoughts?

85s are a gold mine, I would never buy a bike if I didn't know what was wrong with it or how to fix it, the guy who probably did it just bent the guy over to get money. PASS

I think thats a great idea.  I've been doing it for the last year.  I've owned atleast 60 bikes in the last year.  my most recent purchases were a 08 crf250r that i bought for 1300 and sold few days later for 2000. and last week i bought a kx500 for 1400 and sold it this weekend for 1800.  I'm 17 and this is my main source of income.  i just scrub the crap out of em, change the oil, tighten the spokes, somtimes adjust the chain and then sell them.  I search craigslist and find a screaming deal then buy it and repost it a couple days later.  So far i haven't lost any money yet

I've never split a case but I have done top ends. I was thinking this might be a good one to learn on. I'm comfortable working inside engines.

It could be something simple too. If I can get it for $300 it will be worth it I think, if for nothing else it will be something me and my kid can tinker with in the garage. Heck if it ends up running I might keep it around for the wife.

Edited by JFortner5

If you plan on flipping a bike of any kind, I recommend your first time is into a foam pit !! ! :smashpc:

• Like 4

I thought that was street bike Tommy before I watched it.

Just to update I didn't end up buying that bike. I decided to get myself another bike first and make sure it's in good shape. After that I may look for something else to mess with. I appreciate all the comments

I thought that was street bike Tommy before I watched it.

Just to update I didn't end up buying that bike. I decided to get myself another bike first and make sure it's in good shape. After that I may look for something else to mess with. I appreciate all the comments

It was street bike Tommy

I bought an 82 Yamaha to flip. Turned out it had a broken cylinder sleeve. Guy didn't tell me. Forced to part the bike out. So far I'm out ~$800. I still have parts that I selling so I'm slowly recuperating my money. It will take at least a year to sell all the parts. After its all sold, I'll be out probably $200 or so. Doesn't sound like much, but shipping the parts, dealing with emails, shipping, tracking numbers, sending pictures, haggling, and storing the parts got old quick.

If you do go to look at a "cheap" bike, do your homework. Check the oil. Check the compression. Look over the wiring for any hacks. If possible, drop the oil pan. Check for major irreversible damage. Tires can be replaced. Batteries can be replaced. Wiring can be fixed. Cracked cylinder heads, bent rods, spun bearings, dropped valves, cannot be replaced without major, major overhaul.