Sign in to follow this  

My 2000 cr250 project

It's wintertime up here in Canada, so i'm tearing my bike completely down and to get it back in like new condition for spring.  I love to ride but i also love wrenching on my bike so i usually do good teardown over winter.

Crank bearings went this past spring, luckily i caught it before it wrecked anything, so it was rebuilt top to bottom over the summer.  I rode it a fair bit this fall but I'm not planning on redoing the top end until next winter.  

I will be sending the forks and shock in to Pro Action for a rebuild/respring/revalve all together within a week or two here.  I'm 6' 200lbs and he convinced me that it will make a world of a difference on the track.  I live right on the edge of the coulees in Alberta here so we do quite a bit of riding in there but we race once a week at the local track too.

Anyways, right now the bike is completely torn down, the engine is sitting on the workbench and getting a good cleaning.

I will be replacing the swingarm, shock linkage, steering tube, and wheel bearings just because i have it all apart now.  I'd rather throw a few more dollars into it now than have something go right in the middle of riding season.  

When i first bought the bike 3 years ago it fell off the back of buddy's trailer on the way down to meet me, (we both drove 3 hours to meet in the middle) so i got it nice and cheap lol.  Needed new plastics, grips, bars, levers and pegs.  I bought the full ufo white plastic kit for it and had my sister (graphic design) make me some graphics for it.  I did eveything white and black and I think it turned out pretty good.  I went with protaper bars.  Last winter i had the rims spokes and hubs all powdercoated black, and the sprocket white. 

I will be getting a few more things powdercoated this year, but not too much as i don't want it to look too blingy.  While the forks are apart pro action will be anodizing them black.  I talked to the guys at the shop there and they can throw in some engine parts for anodizing so I will be getting the clutch cover, waterpump cover, and the power valve covers anodized black as well.

I will probably be powdercoating the triple clamps white (not the inside i know) I think that will look sharp on the black fork tubes and match the bike a little.

I polished the frame already, and i will be polishing the swingarm too once i get a bit more time. 

Anyways, a bit of advice from you guys on other things i could check would be great.  Also let me know if you think i'm going too far with the black/white theme, i don't want to ruin the look of the bike.  I'll be posting a bunch of pictures as i go along, any input would be great!!!  The picture i attached is of the bike before i tore it down two weeks ago.

IMG_20150305_222352.jpg

• Like 1

I will be buying white fork guards to replace the stock half clear ones, and also putting on a front fender from a newer 450 just to update the look a little.  My brother in law was saying that he's seen a few of these bikes where they cut off the bottom few inches of the side number plates right along the crease and it's supposed to really update the look as well.  I looked online and can't find any pictures of guys doing this.  Has anyone here done this?  if you can post some pictures that would be great.  I kind of want to see what it looks like before i start cutting up my plastics.

Nice bike. I like how the side panel and airbox blend with those graphics.

Frame is beautiful but you have created a monster if you truly like to ride. Don't want it too blingy but you powder coated the sprocket? 😉

Edited by YHGEORGE

Haha yeah the polished frame can be a pain to upkeep.

On the sprocket, I did it because The rims, spokes, and hubs are all black so i figured a little bit of white in there would break it up nicely.  I don't really like the look of all black so i'm trying to keep a bit of contrast in there  👍

I am playing with the idea of maybe powdercoating the frame and swingarm black.  would be nice with almost no maintenance but i'm not sure how it'll look on the bike...  don't want to run into the same problem with the wheels where there's too much black and it looks funny.  I'll have to see if i can get my sister to photoshop a picture of that

If you're gonna go for the ghetto stolen bike look, just use a rattle can. That way when you see how horrible it looks you can fix it with a spray power washer. Please edit that "too blingy" section from your post. You're already out of control.

Not sure why but both the CRFR and aluminum framed CR and the Honda atc250r and the Yamaha banshee attract blingers. It's their time and money so who are we to judge?

Started cleaning up the engine tonight. I still have a ways to go but I made some pretty good progress. Got most of it pretty clean but still need to dig out a bit from the corners and such.

1453343730967.jpg

1453343746275.jpg

Looks good..! reminds me of my 2001 when I rebuilt it. I think the Black forks will look sweet, but the frame will take a beating if it was powdercoated. 

Keep up the good work! Haha its funny to see how us Canucks all do the same thing all winter long! If you can't ride it, you just take it apart and look at it! 

• Like 1

Looks good..! reminds me of my 2001 when I rebuilt it. I think the Black forks will look sweet, but the frame will take a beating if it was powdercoated. 

Keep up the good work! Haha its funny to see how us Canucks all do the same thing all winter long! If you can't ride it, you just take it apart and look at it! 

Haha yep that's pretty much how it goes eh?  I was throwing around the idea of studding my tires so i can ride all winter....  Then i bought a renegade 800 so that should get me my winter fix  👍

Haha yep that's pretty much how it goes eh? I was throwing around the idea of studding my tires so i can ride all winter.... Then i bought a renegade 800 so that should get me my winter fix 👍

ice tires are on and ready for this weekend!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453394403.352299.jpg

Now i'm starting to second guess myself on the suspension...  revalving and respringing it isn't cheap.  A full rebuild is $400, revalve + rebuild is $600 but the springs are 400 so i'd be looking at a bit over $1000.  At first it seemed like a good idea but now i'm leaning towards just a rebuild and then spend a bunch of time trying to get it dialed at the track.  I can always do the revalve next winter if i'm not happy with stock rebuilt suspension.  Thoughts?