Sign in to follow this  

Removing stuck bearings in wheel hubs

I have a 04 400ex just removed both front wheel hubs from the spindle and tried beating the living hell out of these to remove them. Do the bearings go out certain ways and can I just drive the small bearing through to the other side. Also heard of putting them in the oven, would it be the same if I put it in a toaster oven don't wanna stink up the house. Thanks

I did bearings on a friends dirtbike and the bearings would only come out the side they are in. His bearings were rusted in since the bearings were 38 years old Lol🤣 But i dont have a bearing puller so i sprayed them down with PB blaster and then hit them with a hammer and flat head screwdriver and that seemed to work. 

If you have room, use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the inner race. Remove it and the balls/rollers. Cut a groove into the outer race - being careful not to go thru. One good whack with a cold chisel and it will split, making removal easy.

No room for angle grinder ? Use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Neither - heat the hub - being careful not to get it too hot. then whack as above.

I was able to put them in the oven till the metal expanded and they simply fell out lol froze the bearings overnight and through the hubs in the oven and the new ones fell in