Sign in to follow this  

Could i mix ATF and Rotella T?

Look, i read threads here, i hear the debates so please be kind to each other and forgive me that i love to hear sage old motorcycle rides tout there intelligence about oil. So, again, if i want the best of both worlds OR if im changing atf to rotella would it have any adverse reactions when mixed.? I say NO but love to hear input. Example; i hear not to mix premix castor with synthetic when it comes to premix but never hear about case oil concoction. I would like to mix atf dex merc with Rotella T ot T6. Why, JUST BECAUSE IT SOUNDS DELICIOUS.

I have done it plenty of times, transmission works just fine.

• Like 1

ATF mixed at 50/50 with 15W-40, guessing you'd get the about the equivalent of a 10W-30 in terms of viscosity.

Could make a 10W-30 equivalent but even better suited to clutch material / friction caracteristics than motorcycle engine oil.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Edited by mlatour

in a four stroke? I wouldn't use ATF as an engine lubricant even at 50%. In a two stroke gearbox? Yes.

Indeed shrubitup,

we should precise that this experiment would be for a separate sump gearbox only (2T's & CRF-Rs)

don't use ATF for the engine lube!

Edited by mlatour

No, im sorry. Gear box oil for husk te300 2t bike

I use rotella t and t6 for my 4t bikes.

Personally, while I think that ATF is an acceptable choice for transmission and wet clutch applications, I would avoid mixing the two, simply because there is no definitive documentation as to what you'd end up with.  They're similar in some ways and considerably different in others.  I wouldn't trust it.

I would definitely not suggest mixing ATF and engine oil. The mixture would just be half as good as both of them in either an engine or a transmission. One of the biggest issues in doing this is that you don't know how the additives are going to interact with one another. You might get additives displacing one another on the surfaces to a point that none of them are effective anymore. Mixing products of totally different types, from different manufacturers with unknown chemistry is not something I would recommend to anyone unless you enjoy experimenting and don't have an aversion to failure.

Sure you can!

Let us know what happens.

I've experimented with heavier and lighter oils before just on a bench top to see how much they would separate and all of the mixtures stayed mixed well.

The benefit...wellllll....

The point is that when you do oil blending in your own kitchen, you have no idea whether the results as far as oil performance will be additive or degrade both parts.  It's a bad idea with no compelling reason to try. 

it isn't a space shuttle...if these transmissions work with pre-mix in them, as well as regular car oil, etc., mixing some ATF/15w40 or whatever isn't going to affect them to the point of mechanical issues. I am not the only one that has mixed these oil/fluids without issue. Optimal? maybe not, but I have never had issues.

Edited by DEMI

no duh, but there was a recent thread if you bother to look. Not too mention people using all kinds of oils in there transmissions. Yeah, oy vey.

Edited by DEMI

always the doomsdayers, etc. other parts of the world use all sorts of oils and magically the bikes don't self destruct. Similar to the anti-ATFers...how much more proof does there need to be than everyday users using it without issue? Mixing ATF and "gear oil" or diesel oil is not like maple syrup and blood. These machines are pretty rudimentary.

• Like 3

No, im sorry. Gear box oil for husk te300 2t bike

I use rotella t and t6 for my 4t bikes.

Not a problem. I put all sorts of mixed viscocities/mineral/synthetic and ATF into my two stroke gear box. Never a problem. Drain and fill at 16 hours of light trail riding. 

When I change the oil on my cars or my 4T bike I drain each quart bottle dry by letting it sit upside down into a 5 quart SuperTech bottle. Whatever mixture becomes is what goes into my smoker's transmission. 

• Like 2