Sign in to follow this  

Ca. Sierra Nevada's to Salt Lake City, Possible?

I'm not really into the dual sports rides so forgive me if i'm asking poor questions. Is it possible to ride off road from the eastern side of the sierra's to Salt lake City UT? Where's a good place to start looking for maps, etc. I've ridden around the Lee Vining, Mono Lake, Mammoth area but nothing really east of there. 

Seems like it would be a fun ride, so i thought id do some research on it. I'd be doing it a couple guys and a chase vehicle.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not really into the dual sports rides so forgive me if i'm asking poor questions. Is it possible to ride off road from the eastern side of the sierra's to Salt lake City UT? Where's a good place to start looking for maps, etc. I've ridden around the Lee Vining, Mono Lake, Mammoth area but nothing really east of there. 

Seems like it would be a fun ride, so i thought id do some research on it. I'd be doing it a couple guys and a chase vehicle.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry but if you are not in to DS rides, why are you asking?

most likely quite possible, but you would have to connect with towns for fuel and a place to stay, chase vehicle? You might need a chase vehicle for the chase vehicle, LOL! That's a long distance a lot of sage brush. There is a guy that advertises on ADV-rider website that plots maps for dual sport riders all over the USA. It's called Epic Rides 

Good luck, IMHO, there are much nicer journeys 

You'll need a good gps (garmin gpsmap64, 64s, montana, etc) and mapping software (garmin basecamp, or even google maps), then plot your route.  Basically you're making tracks to follow, or a route for your gps to direct you.  Check out adventure rider's forum.  TONS of info there to get you started.  One of my goals is to plan & finish a ride like you're planning.  There are guys on that forum that do it regularly.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/mapping-navigation.37/

Mind the bombing ranges out toward wendover, military gets kind of testy if your on them. Sometimes hard to tell when on the bike

There are plenty of trails to get across nevada. Just be aware that fuel can be a long ways apart. There are also places that can be 80 degrees during the day and below freezing at night.

Are you still trying to put your DS ride across NV together? ++on the GPS is a must. You could do it without the chase if you had the fuel capacity. I have always done it with chase support-we ride light and do some pretty tough trails, luggage goes to the next overnight destination. If you stay on general mining roads and some highway it could be a great adventure ride. I have resources been all over Nevada, but again you have to be GPS capable.