Valve spec way to loose

I bought a 2007 kx250f last week. I took it out for 2 rides so far. Both times the bike starts when cold, but after an hour of riding it, when I go to start it back up I can't get the bike to start back up. So I checked the valves. My intake should be 10-15 and I have 11 on left and 16 on right, although my exhaust should be 17-22 and I have 26 on left and 28 on right. Everything I have come across on the fourms says anything about it being this far off. I have already ordered shims to try and re shim. But After reading about seat cutting I am worried the previous owner may have done something wrong. I just don't know what else to look for or to check. Or why the exhaust clearance is so loose and if this would make the bike hard to start. Thanks in advance.

My feeler guages say mm, so 26mm and 28mm for the exhaust. I have not found anything anywhere of anyone having that loose of valves. Yet I did the same thing for my intake and those are in spec. I will review everything again tomorrow but I did a lot of research on how to adjust valves so I am pretty sure I did it correctly

No offense but if you think the clearance is 26mm/28mm I think you should get someone to help you check the clearances before you make any adjustments just to be sure.  26mm is about 1 inch.  You don't have 1 inch of valve clearance.

Valve clearances that are too large don't affect starting.  They'll cause a noisy valve train and wear out your valves faster.  

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1