Sign in to follow this  

Reliability of Husqvarna dual sports

Are bikes like the te449 or 510 reliable or do people wrench on them just like motocross bikes? Do they require constant rebuilds and valve adjustments. Getting bored of the klx250s and am looking at all my options.

'07 Te450 here. Is it going to go 10's of thousands of miles on a rebuild? Probably not, but is pretty low maintenance as far as competition based dual sports go. If you want a dirt bike that is just barely street legal, any Te will probably fit the bill. Otherwise keeping your klx or getting a Drz might be the best bet.

Are bikes like the te449 or 510 reliable or do people wrench on them just like motocross bikes? Do they require constant rebuilds and valve adjustments..

Yes , wrench just like a motocrosser.  Seems like there's always more wrenching in the early miles, to set up the longevity.

125's pistons every 6 months.  250' piston every 9 months, 500's every 2 years

501 motor should outdo them all, from that perspective.

I believe you can do things or not do, that will greatly extend the motors life.

I actually put 40,000 mile on a DRZ, and it was still running super nice, it did have a few valve adjustments along the way ,  The 510cc motor, from what Ive seen, has a better longevity valve train, atleast at 13,000 miles not need any valve adjustment yet. The DRZ did.  The DRZ was not a very good flyer, flew like a rock to me. The Husky/Ktm much more a natural flyer.   My main concern is the single compression ring life over the double compression ring of the DRZ.

Otherwise Ive seen nothing in motor longevity , the DRZ has over the 510 cc ktm motor

Coming from a 250, you will be burning more tires and chains

Yes , wrench just like a motocrosser.

The kymco built bmw spec te449 and te511 sold from 2011 to 2014 are not in the same tune as an mx bike so therefore do not require the close maintenance intervals of a racing bike. I run cheap oil and change it every 300 miles or so. Change oil filter about every 1,000 miles. Check valves abt every 1,000 but mine haven't moved.

I thought he meant the new 501 4stroke , was one of the options , my mistake .  I'll accept your expertise to the TE's

I thought he meant the new 501 4stroke , was one of the options , my mistake . I'll accept your expertise to the TE's

Far from it he just mentioned these bikes so I chimed in since I own one.

How do they make these bikes with near identical compression ratios to MX bikes go 10k plus miles. Without a rebuild?

cam profile, timing, ignition, exhaust, etc

The xr650r and the drz400 also have higher compression ratios than old school air cooled four strokes.

I've had a yz450 before and my te449 really just feels like a 250F with a bbk in comparison.

I came off a klx 250s and on a te 310 , absolutely love the bike , also added a ktm 500exc to the stable which is alot of fun , good luck with the bike you choose.

'07 Te450 here. Is it going to go 10's of thousands of miles on a rebuild? Probably not, but is pretty low maintenance as far as competition based dual sports go. If you want a dirt bike that is just barely street legal, any Te will probably fit the bill. Otherwise keeping your klx or getting a Drz might be the best bet.

Yep any TE will work and the newer the bike the more performance/maintenance it will have. Despite what was posted above many 250f pistons in these TE motors have lasted many many hours. I had a 2008 TE250 and sold it at 200 hrs and 3800 miles. Ran flawless and the new owner rode it another 50 hrs. I know several other TE250's with similar hours all still running.