Sign in to follow this  

Clutch won't engage when shifting to first, bike is cold and being fully choked.

Guys, 2015 TTR 230 here. I pulled it out of the shed, its about 55 degrees. I crank it up, full choke, let it idle for probably 30 seconds at most. The bike is not warm enough to respond to the throttle unless the choke is on. I decide to ride it around with the coke on to warm it up quicker, it's been a week since I had ridden and was impatient. I hop on, pull the clutch in, shift down to first.

The bike lurches forward despite the clutch being pulled in, full choke also. I'm not out of control so I pull the clutch in further, let it go, pull it again...the clutch won't engage. I kill the bike, put it back in N, start it back up, pull the clutch in and shift into 1st. Clutch engages this time.

I have had this happen before. Both times occurred with full choke. In my mind, the choke shouldn't cause the clutch to engage or disengage. I would chalk this up as a user error; perhaps I didn't pull the clutch in far enough the first time. The issue here is I made sure I pulled it completely in, let it out, and pulled it in again and it would not engage. I am certain that I cant say it was my fault.

Has anyone heard or experience anything that I am describing?

Thanks for your input!

1- Warm the bike up before riding.

2- I think you have the words "engage" and "disengage" confused.

Perhaps a little more clutch cable free play, a quick turn of the adjuster fixes that, and warmer oil, and you'll be perfect. Your condition is not unpredictable in colder weather. 

My bike acts funky when cold too...

1.) Do you have the bike rejetted or is it stock jetting?

2.) Does this problem happen when the bike is fully warmed up?