Sign in to follow this  

Yz 125 shifting problem

Hey guys I was riding my yz 125 lately and I noticed it was shifting weird. it felt very very easy to shift , like not normal and I noticed my shifter felt weird. I came to a stop and couldn't find neutral so my buddy looked at it and the shifter had a ton of play . I noticed a very small and slow leak coming out but didn't think anything of it. my buddy gave me a nice used shifter for free and put it on there was no play bike shifted great rode for about 20 minutes. the next day I come out and wiggle it and all the play is back . I noticed over the next few days the leak got larger and he said I need a shift shaft seal. I have that now and am waiting to put it on with my friends help. when the bike is off and in neutral i can push down to first but can't get up to second and haven't tried riding since the new shifter was put on. the play is still there and he said it might be my "dog bolts " or my shift linkage . we are gonna take a look this weekend but any ideas from you guys why I have that play ? thanks

Check your shift stop, buy a new seal (or seal kit), shift shaft and shifter might need replacement.

Edited by PALMER84ONE

Hey guys I was riding my yz 125 lately and I noticed it was shifting weird. it felt very very easy to shift , like not normal and I noticed my shifter felt weird. I came to a stop and couldn't find neutral so my buddy looked at it and the shifter had a ton of play . I noticed a very small and slow leak coming out but didn't think anything of it. my buddy gave me a nice used shifter for free and put it on there was no play bike shifted great rode for about 20 minutes. the next day I come out and wiggle it and all the play is back . I noticed over the next few days the leak got larger and he said I need a shift shaft seal. I have that now and am waiting to put it on with my friends help. when the bike is off and in neutral i can push down to first but can't get up to second and haven't tried riding since the new shifter was put on. the play is still there and he said it might be my "dog bolts " or my shift linkage . we are gonna take a look this weekend but any ideas from you guys why I have that play ? thanks

what year is your bike? that would help so we can diagnose the problem.