Sign in to follow this  

Mx boot vs Stump

I have been riding dirt for 25 years. Never owned a pair of mx boots, I am a very cautious rider on the track and in the woods. I am getting into more hare-scramble stuff these days but where I ride there are alot of hidden stumps in the grass. I would like to go faster but the fear of clipping a stump keeps me slowed down. I could care less about the bike or bending a foot peg, but what happens when you smack a 12" high stump at 20mph with mx boots? Will the boot hold up or just fold under the peg and shatter my foot?

the stumps I am talking about are just high enough to reach the pegs, so if I am shifting, the toe of my foot is lower then the pegs, thats my concern

Any tips for riding in these conditions, thanks

Edited by OldRM

I too rode a long time without boots and only in the last 6 years have worn boots, and now i can't go for a 1 hour blap without them.

when I do ride without i find myself less confident .

IMO

• Like 2

They are a lot like ski boots and your ankles and toes will love you for it if you were to come across a stump

• Like 2

What have you been wearing on your feet while riding for the last 25years?  I rode a few years in workboots, then went to cheap MXboots after getting my toes crushed, went to premium boots after an encounter with a hidden stump

• Like 1

This past summer I hit a rock projecting out into the trail with my shin, I was clipping along in 4th gear.  Didn't really even feel it other than it knocked me off track a bit.  And the boots I was wearing aren't $500 boots either, they're a $100 pair of Fly Mavericks.

BTW, I understand your concern about hitting hidden stumps, the wrecks at speed when that happens can be rather spectacular. :crazy:  I hit a root projecting out into a single track with the bottom of the fork leg, the result was the endo to end all endos. :eek:

Mx boots will go a long way towards protecting your feet. However, if your boot gets caught inbetween the peg and the stump, the boots are probably going to be the weakest link. Best bet is to wear the mx boots and ride with your toes forward and up. That way your foot just gets blown off the peg and you hopefully escape injury.

What have you been wearing on your feet while riding for the last 25years?  I rode a few years in workboots, then went to cheap MXboots after getting my toes crushed, went to premium boots after an encounter with a hidden stump

Ya what i was wondering but assuming some sort of work boots?????

I've posted this in multiple times in different topics about boots but IMO if you look at it this way, you feet are touching or hitting something 100% of the time then if you lucky you helmet is never hitting or touching anything but your head.

I might be thick headed, but I can't see riding without the best protection.  Really good boots and a really good helmet is a no-brainer.  Look at it this way - both combined are less than your health insurance deductible for a single year.

Edited by Captn Kirk

Make sure the boots fit well and you'll be fine. The worst thing you can do is ride with a boot that's to big. Toes break a lot easier when they have a bunch of room to slide forward during an impact.

I actually broke 2 toes and ripped a nail completely off because I was riding in boots that were a full size to big.

Thank you for all the replies, please understand I am NOT racing through the woods on a hare scramble without MX boots. I am more of a casual woods rider that would like to have more protection to ride faster. I wear a very nice helmet and chest protector and handguards. The very same woods that I ride now, I remember riding as a kid on a XR 70. The helmet did not have a chin protector, chest protectors were un heard of, steel toe work boots were fine, and I had an umbilical cord with a piece of cardboard in between a set of points to kill the bike in case I fell off. That was just how things were back then. I ride a crf450 the same way as I did with a XR 70 and use the proper judgment.
I think the best part of this whole thread was to keep the tip of your boots up! whoever said that it might seem like common sense but it wasn't something I thought of and makes perfect sense. Does anyone have a recommendation for a $200 pair of boots?

Thank you for all the replies, please understand I am NOT racing through the woods on a hare scramble without MX boots. I am more of a casual woods rider that would like to have more protection to ride faster. I wear a very nice helmet and chest protector and handguards. The very same woods that I ride now, I remember riding as a kid on a XR 70. The helmet did not have a chin protector, chest protectors were un heard of, steel toe work boots were fine, and I had an umbilical cord with a piece of cardboard in between a set of points to kill the bike in case I fell off. That was just how things were back then. I ride a crf450 the same way as I did with a XR 70 and use the proper judgment.

I think the best part of this whole thread was to keep the tip of your boots up! whoever said that it might seem like common sense but it wasn't something I thought of and makes perfect sense. Does anyone have a recommendation for a $200 pair of boots?

Gaerne GX-1 for that price range is your best bet. Stay away from molded soles for off road, welted soles are much better for added protection from smashing toes. Going up in price is going to give you more plastic, which leads to better protection and rigidity in the ankles.

That is the best advice for sure. No matter what boot you wear, keeping your toes from pointing down off the pegs is the best safety assurance. Though mx boots generally do have steel shanks in them, you would just end up crushing your toes between the hard object and the soles. Also if you haven't worn mx boots before, it will take time to get used to the bulkiness and figure out how to operate the shifter and rear brake pedal, so don't get discouraged.

Boots aren't going to save your feet (yes they will help through), proper foot placement on the pegs will. Riding on the balls of your feet is key in foot preservation through the woods. If you do encounter a stump, your footpegs and bike will absorb the impact with a worst case scenario of your feet being pushed backed off the pegs...

• Like 4

You will most likely need to adjust the shift lever and rear brake lever to accommodate the bulky MX boots and there is a break in period for most MX boots.  If you get hurt wearing MX boots, know it would have been worse otherwise.  No protective gear is going to save you from injury every time but it mitigates injury in major impacts.

• Like 2

Jeez, i've been putting off real boots for a while now. I just wear my steel toe Chippewa Loggers laced up tight and some cheapo knee/shin guard combo stuffed in them. I have a shoei vfxw helmet and decent gloves... but thats really all I wear for protective gear. I always thought the chest protectors and stuff were just for MX... i guess thats kind of ignorant on my part. 

I should buy some boots, thats pretty apparent. What else is "required" riding gear for the woods? I don't race or anything but I like to ride as fast as I can through single track. 

Jeez, i've been putting off real boots for a while now. I just wear my steel toe Chippewa Loggers laced up tight and some cheapo knee/shin guard combo stuffed in them. I have a shoei vfxw helmet and decent gloves... but thats really all I wear for protective gear. I always thought the chest protectors and stuff were just for MX... i guess thats kind of ignorant on my part. 

I should buy some boots, thats pretty apparent. What else is "required" riding gear for the woods? I don't race or anything but I like to ride as fast as I can through single track. 

Elbow protection, body protection (bruised or broken ribs REALLY hurt), goggles, and the the second most important item, IMO, a NECK BRACE.  There are 2 things I've broken in the past couple years, collarbone and wrist, and there is no protection for either that I know of.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Elbow protection, body protection (bruised or broken ribs REALLY hurt), goggles, and the the second most important item, IMO, a NECK BRACE.  There are 2 things I've broken in the past couple years, collarbone and wrist, and there is no protection for either that I know of.

Woah, you casting a line there looking to start another huge debate

Woah, you casting a line there looking to start another huge debate

I won't ante if you mean about the neck brace. 😉🤣

• Like 1