Sign in to follow this  

What is fair price for my X?

Well, I'm getting ready to say goodbye to my good old Honda and obviously over years of ownership we have built quite an attachment. As any owner who spent thousands on various mods I prongs think that my bike is worth more than it actually is. What do you recon my 05 is worth? Keep in mind that in California these are a bit more expensive. Short summary of important bits:

125 hours on stock engine, just checked and adjusted valves

CA plated

Revalved suspension

Full titanium exhaust

BD Squadron light and different stator

Tubliss

Scott's

JD jetting

Trailtech computer with GPS

Or course there are dozens of other small mods done. In other words the bike is well set up. Will need chain and sprockets soon, still original.

I see these priced all over the place. 3500-6500. What should I sell it for?

Edited by Motodisiac

At 125 hours, it's also going to need a piston and rings and valves more than likely quite soon.   I'd also add a cam chain.  Have you run a full qt of oil in the tranny or no?

I don't know the CA market, but here on the east coast, even with the mods, $4,000 would be about it.   No matter which way you slice it, it's a ten year old bike and as it stands, will need $700 - $1K worth of work in the near future.  Personally when I look at a bike, the first thing I look at is if it fundamentally sound.   I don't really care what's been added onto it.

The thing that will help you the most is that it's plated.   The other mods value will depend on the rider.  i.e. if they don't ride at night, then the headlight and stator is meaningless. Like wise if they don't ride the same terrain or with your experience level, then the suspension re-valve doesn't mean much.   Or if they've got neighbors and want it quiet, then titanium or not, the exhaust won't mean much.

Find the right buyer though and you probably could come up another $1K in price.

Keep in mind that I'm only one person and everyone views buying used things differently, so see what others say that know your local market better.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

Here in Idaho, bikes go for even more than California, and at most that's a 3500 bike. Let's say 500 more because it's CA plated. I just got my 05 here plated in Idaho (which is a joke compared to CA), and I got it for 2700 with a slip on, baja designs kit, trailtech and low hours.

I'm an outsider though. I just sold a 99 RM250 that's plated and basically converted as an RMX for 1550, and I was listing for 1800. In CA, that would be a $1,000 bike at best, but I was really emotionally attached to it. If you don't mind hanging on to it for a while, start it high and let the market drop it for you.

• Like 1

Where in CA are you located? That too will make the difference. Also, check Craigslist and see what your competition looks like and price it accordingly. I recently sold an '07 for $1000 more by just cleaning up the bike and posting quite a few of high quality pictures... That bike sold for $3900 here in Nor-Cal and it was used... :devil:

I'm in LA area. Just listed my X on Craigslist for fair $4000. I'm sad to sell it, but something new and exciting awaits me so I'll be OK

Tank for your feedback guys. See you in WR forum.