Sign in to follow this  

2012 XRL hot high idle

My new to me. Xr650l is having problems

It is idling really high once it gets hot

Cold on choke normal high idle

Warm idles normal and low thumping away

When it gets hot it idles high (higher than cold choked)

When I bought it it had a vacuum leak fixed that then upped the main jet to 160 (still waiting on shop to get 55 pilot)

Bike has 20,000 miles has new uni filter de smogged 160 main jet

No idea why it won't idle normal I'm thinking it's running rich? But I don't know how to adjust the needle it has a tab and only can spin 7/8

Please help

Air leak. Once hot try spraying carb cleaner on the carb to head intake boot. If the rpm's raise you have found the leak.

You say it HAD a leak. What was the repair?

Edited by mcma111

There was a vacuum line missing on carb now I have the proper vent and caps done with the smog delete I will try spraying it down but it only does it when it gets hot and I think it may be overheating?

Tried the carb cleaner with no luck did not change idle at all so no vacuum leaks

Going to get the 60 pilot tonight but how do you adjust it???? You can only turn the adjuster 7/8 of a turn how do people get 2.5 turns out????

Yeh, grind off the tap on the bowl (can be filed off with the carb in place with a small file) and you keep the handy pointer/handle on the screw.

Suggested jetting for Dave's Mods are 55/158. If your bike is stock with the OE muffler you will be WAY fat on the jetting.

Twin ports at the front top join together and are routed back the left side and over to the right side to the air valve. The round thing. The hose on the left side of the body goes to the atmosphere to let the carb breathe.

DSC_0711.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

Ok guys thanks for your help! I've got the pilot jet installed along with a slip on and cut off the bloat bowl tab not she is purring nice at 2.5 out and runs MUCH better! Now I'm having battery issues lol from all the hard starting what should it be charging at idle and low rev?

Ok guys thanks for your help! I've got the pilot jet installed along with a slip on and cut off the bloat bowl tab not she is purring nice at 2.5 out and runs MUCH better! Now I'm having battery issues lol from all the hard starting what should it be charging at idle and low rev?

Get a Battery Tender and top off the battery.  All motorcyclists should have one anyway.  Any time my bikes sit for two weeks or more, I hook them up to keep the batteries topped off.  That works out to a few times a year for me, but it makes a big difference.  I'll also stick the charger on if I've done anything to run the battery down more than usual.