Sign in to follow this  

2013 450 sx-f gas cap won't vent

Went for a ride today and when I got home and was washing my bike, I noticed that the gas tank was sucked in and under a bunch of negative pressure. I took the gas cap off and I could hear air find its way into the tank and the tank expanded back to almost normal. I put the cap back on and a few hours later I went to take it off and I heard the same sound of air entering the tank.  I decide to try to blow air threw the cap vent hole and I can not blow air threw it at all. I took the three screws out and pull the orange peace off the bottom of the cap and expose the ball bearing and the rubber gasket. The rubber gasket was a little deformed like what happens when you spray carb cleaner on rubber parts. I put the cap back together after letting it dry out a bit from the gas that was on it from earlier. I could blow threw the vent hole when the screws were loose but once I tightened them up it was not going to happen. I never messed with the screws on the cap before so it leads me to think that the rubber gasket is beyond its life. Not sure what to do now. New cap? Any suggestions help.

IMG_0947.JPG

I had the same problem on my 2014 SXF FE.  I found that by leaving one of the screws just snug, that it allowed it to vent properly.  It's not a problem leaving one of the screws slightly loose because they are screwed into plastic and therefore does not allow the screw to get looser.  It's been that way for about 6 months with no issues.  Just make sure you can still easily blow air through it.

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape