Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Idle Video - Is my idle way too high?

Here's a YouTube link to my XR400 Idle, it won't run (idle properly) unless my idle is set this high.

Any suggestions, and should I re-clean my carb in order to be able to lower my idle?

https://youtu.be/XFg4UuXKidM

Edited by blownstang

Yes, that's way too high. This with choke off? Did you have to turn up the idle speed knob a bunch just to get it to start?

Make sure you don't have any air leaks around the intake manifold, and air boots.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to go thru the carb again and make sure everything is right.

Edited by Trailryder42

Yes, I turned the idle knob a ton to get it started. I have tried turning it down, but it doesn't idle that great like that and I have to turn it back up to get it started anyways... So, I just leave it turned in a bunch as of now to have less of a hassle.

Thanks for your vid, I've already watched it a few times, very helpful. I think my carb might not be in properly and completely, I'll take a look.

Also, I don't understand how some people turn their idle knobs back down after starting the bike as part of their starting procedure - it's so easy to get burned down there once the bike is running.

Make sure your fuel screw passage is clean and check the condition of its oring.

Make sure the intake manifold oring is in good shape.

If you take the float bowl off the carb, check your float levels.

How long has it been since last valve clearances check?

Edited by Trailryder42