Sign in to follow this  

250F new piston and valve job...will I notice the difference?

My trusty old 2003 YZF250 got some engine work over the winter.

Just put it all back together and so looking forward to riding it again (not even putting gas in it yet as -5F today).

TZR (Travis Sewell--> Woodstock KTM) does my internal motor work and suspension.

Three new exhaust valves, intake were fine.  Cut seats.  New piston and cam chain. 

Will I even notice it as stronger and crisper?  Ran fine last time I road it and then took the motor out.  It was needing valve adjustment as was hard to kick start and I'd often resort to bump starting it that first time of the day.  Once riden would kick start no problem.

Tom Zont points out the exhaust valves were way long hence the poor starting when cold.  New piston because why not.

But, just wondering if it will be noticeably stronger or just same bike running good and starting right.

Coo

You'll notice it won't be as likely to blow up because of overdue preventative maintenance.

Edited by mlatour

You'll notice it won't be as likely to blow up because of overdue preventative maintenance.

Well until he drops an intake valve! For the cost of the job vs. new intakes why would you not do this?? I would question the mechanic's logic.

Ah I missed that,

indeed while you are that deep into refreshing the top end, new valves all around is a no brainer.

Edited by mlatour

All five valves were new a couple years ago.

Look up TZR, Tom Zont Racing.  He wrenches for many arena cross and super cross teams.

I trust his judgment over interweb usersgroup keyboard jockies (which I am one of).

Looking forward to riding laps again....in the meantime the snowmobiles will have to do.  But once you get hooked on, and good at MX, sleds are boring.

Should def run a little bit different with that third exhaust valve mod ;-).

Jk, but seriously, if you got charged for 3 exhaust valves to be done...I'd ask for some money back lmao. And yea, fresh top ends def run more crisp, start easier, etc. Plus, it seems odd that the exhausts were bad but not the intakes. USUALLY the intake side is the one to go first! Sure you aren't mixed up? Cuz if he did intakes, THEN there would of been 3 to do. And what do you mean "tom zont points out the exhaust valves were way long".

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF