Sign in to follow this  

Be careful after strom.

We took off on one of my insane missions.To try to find new loop ride.Last week found old two track,in tight canyon.Most parts washed away.So we went from,other side of mountain range to find it.To see if we could make it,to where we turned around last time.Jim from Utah dual sport,with me.I knew it would be easy to trick him to go.As we named him the Lune A Tic years ago.We did in fact make it,in canyon backwards to the point from last week.He took his Wr250/me on my Heavily modded Wr450.Witch I figured.He would have to get me out of trouble riding the big bike.If I got trapped under it. My black 450 loaded down with spares.PTDC0115.JPG  Mr. Loco on his Wr250.PTDC0113.JPGPTDC0112.JPG

PTDC0122.JPG

• Like 1

So after,we get over washed outs,boulders/mud bogs/brush/knocked off bikes.We finely get to new dirt road,I know will take us out.We already in the saddle,7 hours.Lucky we filled our gas tanks at start,also lucky we where not going fast.IMG_1377.JPGIMG_1378.JPGIMG_1381.JPGIMG_1387.JPG The Lune road down this,I bull dogged down (Chicken).If we could of not got around this,We be walking.As when we got back to gas,he had 2 in in tank.IMG_1390.JPG  Riding slow after big storm,good idea.Plus in Baja,always full tank.

• Like 3

So after,we get over washed outs,boulders/mud bogs/brush/knocked off bikes.We finely get to new dirt road,I know will take us out.We already in the saddle,7 hours.Lucky we filled our gas tanks at start,also lucky we where not going fast.📎IMG_1377.JPG📎IMG_1378.JPG📎IMG_1381.JPG📎IMG_1387.JPG The Lune road down this,I bull dogged down (Chicken).If we could of not got around this,We be walking.As when we got back to gas,he had 2 in in tank.📎IMG_1390.JPG  Riding slow after big storm,good idea.Plus in Baja,always full tank.

That's scary, if you get hurt there you are screwed! that's when experience helps because me as an inexperienced rider would've never thought that could happen and would've probably broke my neck. Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

That's scary, if you get hurt there you are screwed! that's when experience helps because me as an inexperienced rider would've never thought that could happen and would've probably broke my neck. Thanks for posting!

That would never happen,here is the rule> if you ride with me.I live here,you ride behind me.Or I dont take you riding.Also I use rear view mirror,just to look at you.

Please check out v twin cyl Appril and 2 xr 400 on our tour I found from 09

the fastest Dirt bike I ever rode in my life

and you have a cr500, that's insane a 550 v twing 4 stroke probably makes insane torque. How does it compare to the cr500 across the rpm range?

Edited by Yap Yap

It seems like the cr500 is a bit faster or the same, ofcourse rider weight/mods play a huge role. 1:20

Edited by Yap Yap
  • Like 1

Very cool video,very big but? on dead stop race.Its about rider not bike.Also racing on street with dirt bike,means zip if .You ride dirt bike in dirt.My Cr500,the Apprila I rode,was dirt only race model.My Cr500 zero hook up in dirt/The Twin 100% hook up.My Cr500 65mph max,the twin 40mph in second gear.I had it on beach at 100mph,it was not even close to top end.I will never never do that again,as I slowed down.I saw a car rim sticking out of sand.

• Like 2

On torque the twin felt like tractor,it was heavy felt like Xr650r.The Cr500 has no torque,it goes from 0 to horse power.Forget it has any torque.If you let clutch out,on Cr (no throttle) it dies.Let clutch out on twin(no throttle) up to 20mph.By the way it had the best most plush susp.

• Like 1

We rode in the woods with my buddy who had a YZ490 at the time.  The two Al Baker XR265Rs left the YZ490 so far behind them it wasn't even funny.  Quite honestly it was no contest at all and the YZ490 rider was quite disappointed and quite surprised.

For fast long open work the YZ490 was right at home, just as it was on the owner's back-yard MX track at his farm.  In those cases the YZ490 left the the two Al Baker XR265Rs so far behind it wasn't even funny.  Quite honestly it was no contest at all.

A good/great trails/woods bike is just nothing like a good/great MX bike.  Just about everything must be different for each to work in its intended context.  Everything that makes an MX bike good/great is the exact opposite of what makes a trails/woods bike good/great.

Component - MX - Trails/Woods

Engine - Explosive - Predictable

Susp. - Firm/Stiff - Plush/Soft

Tranny - Close - Wide

Height - Taller - Shorter

Steering - Slower - Faster

Clearance - Higher - Lower

Wheelbase - Longer - Shorter

Fuel Cap.- Who cares - Important

Fuel Econ. - Who cares - Important

MX bikes are not very good for trails/woods work.  Trails/woods bikes are not very good for MX work.  To try to make one work in the other context is nothing but a lot of compromise.  I hear and read about guys raving about their MX bikes for trails/woods work.  However, every time I actually see an MX bike being used for trails/woods work it is always a disaster.  And I mean every time and that is no exaggeration.

All of us tried to make my buddy's YZ250F go through the woods on our two-mile closed-loop enduro track and it was a comical disaster.  We all tried over and over but it was just senseless.  Everything about the bike was wrong for that type of work.  In the end he had way more fun on our CRF150F and we all used the YZ250F to do a bunch of hole-shots, power-slides, and rooster tails.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 3