Sign in to follow this  

What kind of carb do I have & where can I buy a new one

Bike is a 2013 Honda CRF100F.  I would like to buy a new Keihin carb that will work on this bike.  What I don’t like about the current factory one that’s on there now is the needle and air screw are not adjustable and the only way to adjust the pilot screw is with some kind of special tool that I don’t have.  According to my service manual the above "defects" were added to all bikes after 2005.

What I'm wondering is does Keihin still make this carb in the old fashioned fully adjustable style?  And if not will any 22mm carb work?  Also need a recommendation on a vendor that sells what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help

Link to bike specs and pics of carb below

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf100f/specifications.aspx

001_zpsxzswv0ah.jpg

002_zpsmszishlr.jpg

003_zpskplufsk1.jpg

A screwdriver for adjusting the pilot screw is not a special tool. You can get an extended pilot screw that you can adjust with your fingers.

If you're talking about that silver cap in front of the idle speed adjustment as being an "air screw", it is not inaccessible. You just have to pull the cap out. You do that by carefully drilling a small hole in the cap and screwing in a sheet metal screw a little ways to get a bite. Then grab the screw with pliars and pull out the cap. If the fuel screw is capped off too, you can get at it the same way.

Keihin 22mm 2.JPG

Keihin 22mm 1.JPG

Extended fuel screw.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42

I didn't know about those extended screws thanks for that info.  Just looked them up and all the ones I'm finding are for Keihin FCR carbs.  I'm still wondering what kind of carb I have?  It has PD stamped on it but when I goggled Keihin PD carb the images that come up don’t look exactly like mine.

Also thanks for the info about the air screw.  I had a feeling that it was a false cap put on there to keep idiots like me from messing with it thus keeping the other idiots at the EPA happy.  I just didn't have the guts to start poking holes in my carb without some reassurance before I did it.

When I was talking about special tools I meant exactly what I said.  My pilot screw is not a regular slotted screw.  My service manual mentions that you can buy a special tool to adjust this screw but I don’t see how because if you look at the screw it is perfectly round inside and has nothing that I can see for any kind of tool to grab onto and get a bite.

Ill attach the best photos that I can that show the screw that I'm talking about.  Kind of hard to get picks of this with the carb still on the bike.  I really want to have new parts in hand before I remove the carb because sometimes I get lazy and loose interest in projects and I don’t want to go from a bike that runs great in the summer to a pile of parts on my workbench.

002_zpsb8es6ugj.jpg

004_zpslcdwi3mm.jpg

008_zpsio4pvzsk.jpg

009_zpsktx6wer7.jpg

010_zps127skxlo.jpg

011_zpsc0ppw6zv.jpg

It is a Keihin "PD" carb, but the reason you can't find much info on it may be because it was made for Honda. Ask the folks below what other Keihin model it may translate to or be compatible with parts-wise.

It seems to me that you could replace that stock pilot with a regular slotted head type also if you can't find an extended one. If you can find a regular or extended screw, carefully use a reverse drill bit on that stock screw and use an easy out on it to get it out.

I would contact these folks and tell them what you have and see what you can get for it.

http://jetsrus.com/

http://www.carbparts.com/

Edited by Trailryder42

When I was talking about special tools I meant exactly what I said. My pilot screw is not a regular slotted screw. My service manual mentions that you can buy a special tool to adjust this screw but I don’t see how because if you look at the screw it is perfectly round inside and has nothing that I can see for any kind of tool to grab onto and get a bite.

Ill attach the best photos that I can that show the screw that I'm talking about. Kind of hard to get picks of this with the carb still on the bike. I really want to have new parts in hand before I remove the carb because sometimes I get lazy and loose interest in projects and I don’t want to go from a bike that runs great in the summer to a pile of parts on my workbench.

002_zpsb8es6ugj.jpg

004_zpslcdwi3mm.jpg

008_zpsio4pvzsk.jpg

009_zpsktx6wer7.jpg

010_zps127skxlo.jpg

011_zpsc0ppw6zv.jpg

Is that the underside of the carb? Have you tried opening the carb up to access the pilot and main jets? I am not familiar with the carb on a CRF100F but I have done the carb "uncork" mod on a TTR125 and you can gain access to pilot and main jets by taking the carb apart. I've also replaced pilot and main jets on a CRF150R and they did not require special tools, just a long skinny flathead screwdriver.