Sign in to follow this  

1997 KX 125 build

Picked up this 97' KX 125 for FREE a couple weeks ago and just now have had time to dig into it. This thing was junk when I picked it up. Rust all over the frame. That has since been blasted and removed. Didn't even have a swing arm bolt when I got it. It was held in by a 3/8 6" bolt. Has an air box but no air boot. No silencer. Needs whole rear brake system. It was a mess, but I think if I take my time on this build it will really turn out good.

As of right now everything is apart. Frame/swing arm/ subframe are all getting ready for powder. Going all black. Got quotes for rebuild on the crank and port/polish on the cylinder. Other than the all black Frame swing arm etc. I'm going with the splitfire team look. Already got the proofs for the graphics, from my graphic guy. They look sweet. Won't post them until closer to that time.

Any input into this build would be greatly appreciated, I'm open to everything I hope this turns out like I want it to!

IMO I wouldn't throw very much time and money at a 97 KX125.  They were OK, but dated. 

EDIT:  That expansion chamber looks hammered.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Air box/ boot is coming in today a along with new swing arm bolt. Getting ready to order al new bearings all the way around. Rear brake system will be next.

IMO I wouldn't throw very much time and money at a 97 KX125. They were OK, but dated.

EDIT: That expansion chamber looks hammered.

I thought about not even going after it but for free I figured why not. The expansion chamber that came with it wont be getting used its trashed. It's going to be a relatively cheap build. I've got a buddy that is doing the powder it's hardly costing me any thing. I've thrown $60 into it before powder. Sponsors are willing to help with the internal part of the build. Parts aren't going to cost me a ton.

I thought about not even going after it but for free I figured why not. The expansion chamber that came with it wont be getting used its trashed. It's going to be a relatively cheap build. I've got a buddy that is doing the powder it's hardly costing me any thing. I've thrown $60 into it before powder. Sponsors are willing to help with the internal part of the build. Parts aren't going to cost me a ton.

If you can do it for $500 you have a bargain and a fun little bike.

It's relatively easy to keep 125s low cost.

A full motor rebuild kit with gaskets is only 250-300 bones.

Yep, but from the description it seemed like there was a bunch of stuff that could nickle and dime him to death.

Yep, but from the description it seemed like there was a bunch of stuff that could nickle and dime him to death.

True, the good thing with older bikes is that a lot of people probably have a box of parts in their garage from when they owned this bike 20 years ago that they're willing to sell cheap.

I bought a parts lot for my 06 YZ250F for $300. It's already more than doubled itself in profit from the stuff I've sold that I didn't need.

• Like 1

True, the good thing with older bikes is that a lot of people probably have a box of parts in their garage from when they owned this bike 20 years ago that they're willing to sell cheap.

I bought a parts lot for my 06 YZ250F for $300. It's already more than doubled itself in profit from the stuff I've sold that I didn't need.

Exactly. For parts I'm not getting from sponsors I've turned to eBay and it's become my best friend the past couple of days!

Exactly. For parts I'm not getting from sponsors I've turned to eBay and it's become my best friend the past couple of days!

Post an ad in your local classifieds, lots of people don't post stuff on eBay because they either don't have the effort or don't want to pay eBay fees.

Post an ad in your local classifieds, lots of people don't post stuff on eBay because they either don't have the effort or don't want to pay eBay fees.

Will do! Air boot/box And swingarm bolt came in

I rebuilt a 97kx125 2 winters ago...  it was a fun project.  EBAY will be your best friend, but i was surprised at how many parts rocky moutain and motosport had in stock, oem and aftermarket.  EVery gasket, and every bearing in the bike was replaced.

I put a boyesen rad valve on it... didnt seem to improve much from just boyesen reeds in the stock cage.

The fmf fatty / shorty combo made a huge improvement on the low to mid.

keep this updated, would like to see what you come up with.

67676.jpg

• Like 2

I rebuilt a 97kx125 2 winters ago... it was a fun project. EBAY will be your best friend, but i was surprised at how many parts rocky moutain and motosport had in stock, oem and aftermarket. EVery gasket, and every bearing in the bike was replaced.

I put a boyesen rad valve on it... didnt seem to improve much from just boyesen reeds in the stock cage.

The fmf fatty / shorty combo made a huge improvement on the low to mid.

keep this updated, would like to see what you come up with.

📎67676.jpg

Thanks! I will be keeping it updated. I've had a change of heart from going with black frame. I'm going to go back with the green frame and subframe. I'm going to start getting frame back together this weekend. I'll get some pictures of parts and pieces as they come in

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454696206.509003.jpg

Just a little update, finally got the fly wheel removed. And got these clear coated. They look brand new. Got more and more parts I'm about to order. Once I get the motor cases opened up I'll send the crank off to be rebuilt and get this motor back in working order. It's coming together just as planned so far!

• Like 1

Had to put the project a little on the back burner. Had some other things come up that needed to be paid for. Still making progress, linkage is in the process of being clear coated it's looking great. Hoping to have the frame/swingarm/ subframe done this weekend.

Once I can get these dry rotted tired off the rims I will unlace them and clean up the spokes and clear the hubs. My plan is within the next couple of weeks to have the frame/swingarm/subframe put back on. Getting the case splitter within the next week or so and soon after that, the crank will be sent off to Crank Works to be rebuilt.

I'll get some picture of the linkage later on tonight.

Ran into another problem. Chain adjuster bolts are not coming out by hand. I'm going to try hitting them with an impact to see if they will come out so I can finish up the swing arm!

Sub frame needs clear & frame will be getting paint this weekend. Can't wait to see how it turns out!