Sign in to follow this  

Do coatings work?

Hey guys interested to know if Kashima and DLC coatings and anything else that you can use do they really work? I know they look awesome, but do they really improve your ride?

Only if the rest of the fork tubes are well sorted out.  They won't compensate for crappy bushings, crappy fit to the bushings, crappy seals, tweaked/bent tubes, etc.

They do very little in real terms for the cost

• Like 1

This was posted recently in the TT Featured content.  There's a picture in the review of the cross-hatching.

Race Tech also offers their “slick finish”; a cross-hatching finish (much like a cylinder bore) to the fork and shock tubes and helps reduce stiction. I had originally asked for the DLC coating, but Race Tech said that after dyno testing, their slick finish actually performed better than DLC.

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/17192-race-tech-gold-valve-fork-kit

The polishing of fork tubes and shock shaft is a nice mod. Especially when included on the upgrade package. The coatings are good but do wear out. I would not spend the money on coatings.

Well aluminum parts you NEED a coating on or will wear out the aluminum so fast. DLC wear out, you find me a DLC coating that has worn out faster than chrome. I am not saying RT crosshatch is bad but they are just trying to make money off their own stuff, can't blame them. Why do you think cylinders use cross hatch and not DLC? Because you WANT some friction or the rings will never seat.

The thing that matters is performance ,will you feel a difference ?unlikely

Yeah I agree you may not feel performance gain, probably off equipment yes but riding who knows. It's really helpful in parts reliability tho. You will probably notice a difference if you had the money to get everything coated but us non pros we aren't going to do all that.

Is there a procedure that's followed when finishing the tubes and shaft? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot to see how it feels. I'd imagine by hand it could take some time but maybe a lathe is used?what sorts of paper are used and what grits ? Anyone know?

The kawi factory dlc wears funny. On showa. But, if you nick up the tubes with dlc you're in more to fix than with chrome. Cross hatching lubes the rings when tolerances are in spec on a jug. Isnt that the reason for oil scraper rings?

I had my forks and shock DLC coated but also had other stuff done while everything was apart, so I can not say that I noticed a differnce just from the coatings. I got a killer deal on the DLC and Kashima compared to what I would have paid in the states, otherwise I would have passed on the coatings. But it definitly looks sweet!

This was posted recently in the TT Featured content.  There's a picture in the review of the cross-hatching.

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/17192-race-tech-gold-valve-fork-kit

This was my review. I did not notice a difference with it done. But then again I'm a mere mortal on a stock-ish dirtbike putting through the woods. RT said there wasn't much of a measurable difference between their cross-hatching and DLC.

If you have $750 to throw away, go for it.

Terry mentioned on another forum to spray some wd40 on your lower tubes when out riding as this should give you an idea of what the low friction coasting feels like

I appreciate everyone posting here. Since I'm getting older (45) and I have a rigid bike that I ride 2011 Suzuki RMZ 450 I'm looking for the best suspension possible. I have talked to guys about buying A-kit stuff and was told this would be even stiffer with increased fork diameter which makes sense, so was talking about doing B-kit stuff coated stock. The biggest problem I'm having is a lot of feedback from the forks. I don't know if the Neken SFS triple clamps would help me or not? I want to take some of the beating I'm feeling out of my ride.

What's your stats? I have an 2011 rmz350 too it has gold valve and was valves for alessi and it feels nice I can give you the stacks

What's your stats? I have an 2011 rmz350 too it has gold valve and was valves for alessi and it feels nice I can give you the stacks

I appreciate that, but I'm not a suspension guy. I'm 170 lbs probably "C" class motocrosser that rides trials too!

Same skill as me but I am 225lbs. You should learn to do revalves it's actually really simple the hard part is getting them right but the physical part of doing them is easy

Don't expect any real gains from coatings ,revalving and correct springs gives say 50% and coatings 3%

The rmz needs less preload ,correct spring and valving

• Like 1