Sign in to follow this  

Headlight on a KX250 help?

So I have a 6 inch 12 volt 18 watt mini light bar I'd like to run on my 2001 KX250. I'd like to tap it into the powerjet power source(12v 25w). I am led to believe that just wiring the light straight to the 12 volt 25 watt wire, would blow the 18 watt light? I guess what I am asking here, is if I would need to find some sort of regulator? Or?? Thanks in advance.

There is barely enough juice in that system to run a couple LEDs… The electrical system already has a regulator in it.  Tap into the hot wire coming out of the regulator.

There is barely enough juice in that system to run a couple LEDs… The electrical system already has a regulator in it. Tap into the hot wire coming out of the regulator.

I did wire it into the regulator output. It is 12 volts and 25 watts and my light is a 12 volt and 18 watt light. Then I realized that the 25 watts going into the 18 watt MAX light would blow it out.

It wont blow it. I did a 24hr race last year and ran my Acerbis LED taillight off of the powerjet. I ran a battery powered LED headlight that I put together.

So I have a 6 inch 12 volt 18 watt mini light bar I'd like to run on my 2001 KX250. I'd like to tap it into the powerjet power source(12v 25w). I am led to believe that just wiring the light straight to the 12 volt 25 watt wire, would blow the 18 watt light? I guess what I am asking here, is if I would need to find some sort of regulator? Or?? Thanks in advance.

18watts are what the led light DRAWS at 12volts. 

25watts are what powerjet power source (whatever that is) can PROVIDE, not what it PUSHES to the light. 

you're going to want to check your voltage from whatever you're going to connect the light to. 10-15V DC = you'll be fine. more than 18V DC (or whatever the lights driver can handle) will blow the light, yes. normally there is a pretty wide range of voltages allowed for led lights. 

if your light flickers from running straight off the stator (AC, instead of DC) you can isolate the lighting circuit from the frame's ground, and include a voltage regulator and small battery. a 12V DC battery will make very nice, clean, bright light, and it will still be working if/when you kill the engine. 

too much info ? 

18watts are what the led light DRAWS at 12volts.

25watts are what powerjet power source (whatever that is) can PROVIDE, not what it PUSHES to the light.

you're going to want to check your voltage from whatever you're going to connect the light to. 10-15V DC = you'll be fine. more than 18V DC (or whatever the lights driver can handle) will blow the light, yes. normally there is a pretty wide range of voltages allowed for led lights.

if your light flickers from running straight off the stator (AC, instead of DC) you can isolate the lighting circuit from the frame's ground, and include a voltage regulator and small battery. a 12V DC battery will make very nice, clean, bright light, and it will still be working if/when you kill the engine.

too much info ?

Thank you very much! The light can take 10-30 volts, according to the manual, the regulator puts out 12 volts. I ran one of these lights on my old XR350 off a 12 volt batter tucked behind the headlight/number plate and ran a toggle switch on the handlebars. If it doesn't get enough juice this way, I intend to do a similar setup like my XR350. Thanks!!

I did wire it into the regulator output. It is 12 volts and 25 watts and my light is a 12 volt and 18 watt light. Then I realized that the 25 watts going into the 18 watt MAX light would blow it out.

In your case, the wattage will not blow the light.  Too much voltage will.  Sort of like you can put a 40w or 60w or 100w bulb in the end table lamp at home all bulbs work.  But if you put a 12v bulb in the 120v lamp socket, capowie...sparks will fly.

• Like 1

So how did it work out?  I just put a "lighting coil" rewound stator on mine.  It said 5o Watts when I bought it, but I think that includes the 25 needed for the powerjet.  So I don't have much to play with.  I have installed the stator and it works great.  Now, what wire do I tap into to steal some juice?  I'd love to run my Trail Tech voyager and a small LED off of it.

So how did it work out?  I just put a "lighting coil" rewound stator on mine.  It said 5o Watts when I bought it, but I think that includes the 25 needed for the powerjet.  So I don't have much to play with.  I have installed the stator and it works great.  Now, what wire do I tap into to steal some juice?  I'd love to run my Trail Tech voyager and a small LED off of it.

Did you ever figure yours out. My stator is on the way i want to run leds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I hope you have better luck with yours than i did with mine.  I'm now back on the stocker.  I ended up using the PJ circuit to run my Trail tech computer and running battery powered LEDs on the bars and helmet.  Basically what happened is my fault but I'm still bummed on the stator they sent.  The wires that they pigtailed off of it that I spliced into my harness were so short that I was forced to splice them in right before the harness leaves the case.  I did a decent job (not sloppy or crappy solder job) and sheathed it with heat shrink.  It was pretty sanitary.  But it only lasted about 3 rides...and the bummer is that it failed in the night portion of King of the Motos!  I was soooooo bummed.  Ended up pulling the wires off and resoldering longer pigtails right to the stator (got rid of the shorties that came on it) and spliced them in farther up the harness where it didn't have to make any bends.  But it was too late.  After all that work, turns out that I roached the stator.  Soooooo.....when your's arrives, make sure the wires/splices are in a good spot.  Obvious, I know.  But it cost me the race that I put so much prep into.  Best of luck!

kx1.JPG