Sign in to follow this  

Trye selant

Just wondering if any of you guys use a trye sealant in your inner tubes? If so any recomendations as ive had 2 punctures within 2 weeks and it cost a fortune to keep getting new inner tubes fitted.

I only use it on the road and are from the uk have used puncture safe on my bandit that works fine in tubless but not sure on tubed.

desert rats use green slime.  water based so freezing weather may cause an out of balance condition.

edit: yeah I should mention the down side.

Edited by 38super

Slime and I suppose other sealants are not very effective with tubed tyres.  It works OK for cactus spines but most punctures rip the tube so the slime just leaks out and makes a mess in the tire to lean up as you do try to repair it.  Also makes it nearly impossible to patch the tube with slime leaking out.  I am not a fan of tyre patches but some times it is necessary for an emergency repair out on the trail.

• Like 1

Falcon , where the tubes wrecked when they where punctured ? Usually it would only need a patch . I always ask to see the tube first , they are just after your cash . As noble said It isnt very effective and usually just a messy waste of money . I tried it for a while , when the products first started coming out and everytime I got a puncture the tube exploded or tore . So the sealant just went all over the rim and inside the tyre and the tyre went flat . You could try going tubeliss or do the hooligan mod with mag wheels and run tubeless , or even buy run flat tubes if you dont want to be caught out . It all costs unfortunately , greg

ive had 2 punctures within 2 weeks

I only use it on the road

2 punctures in 2 weeks and only riding on the road.

I would suggest an inspection of the rim tape to eliminate the possibility of a spoke causing your punctures.

Did the tyre fitter identify what caused the punctures, did you/he inspect the tubes?

Was a nail in the first and a screw in the second

Dam that's a $hit run your having. 🤦

Hate to say it but bad luck comes in three's 😢 

Hope your luck improves 👍:ride:

I just started using a dirt bike and ATV tire sealant carrier by our dealer network. The sealants generally use cellulose fiber in an antifreeze base.   They say it is better than the Slime brand, it seem a lot thicker  It fixed a mesquite thorn puncture I got in October and is still holding air well today.   

I will now always use this stuff since I generally ride remote and alone.

I just started using a dirt bike and ATV tire sealant carrier by our dealer network. The sealants generally use cellulose fiber in an antifreeze base.   They say it is better than the Slime brand, it seem a lot thicker  It fixed a mesquite thorn puncture I got in October and is still holding air well today.   

I will now always use this stuff since I generally ride remote and alone.

What's the name of it?

The name of the sealant is "Dirt Bike Tire Sealant" by QB QuadBoss.  It is a thick ugly grayish goo.  Cost about $10 for a 16oz bottle.  It and most sealants can be cleaned up with water since they use an antifreeze base.  The bottle claims it will stop a 1/4 inch hole with 4 to 8 oz per tire.    My flat from the mesquite thorn was about 1/16 inch and it has been holding air for about 3 months.  I used about 6 oz per tire.  

Before using the sealant the hole was a slow leak since the thorn was in place.  I still had about 40 miles to get back to civilization from my flat.   I had to air back up 3 times with CO2 to get back.   Since we have lots of cactus I will keep using a sealant. 

I use Ride-on.  Not so much for punctures but it will also balance your wheels.

Edited by bliksem

Just wondering if any of you guys use a trye sealant in your inner tubes? If so any recomendations as ive had 2 punctures within 2 weeks and it cost a fortune to keep getting new inner tubes fitted.

I only use it on the road and are from the uk have used puncture safe on my bandit that works fine in tubless but not sure on tubed.

I just made the leap to Nuetech Tubliss. Though it is not required I used sealant from Stan's No Tubes in them, as I know it does not freeze, and works very well in MTB tyres.  The Stans sealant can be used in an inner tube, or tubeless.  Stans is a low viscosity latex based (non fibrous)  sealant that will "heal" a puncture claimed to be up to 1/4" diameter.  Also it lays down a coat of rubber and seals pores inside of a tire thereby making tube type tyres--run tubelessly--more air tight.  I have used many tire sealants, and always wind up going back to the Stan's No Tubes brand.  

Like all sealants--If it does not seal your puncture, consider yourself screwed.  Repairs will not take, and it will be a god awful mess

I use Green Slime - from memory I think I have 1 flat in 12 years of riding my DRZ; I've had 1 flat on my

street bike. I do tend to change the inner tube every time I fit new tyres.

it cost a fortune to keep getting new inner tubes fitted.

Not sure why it costs a fortune? I have 3 large tyre irons and a patch kit, total cost $30? Total time

is about 1 hour to change tyre/inner tube.

Gerry

I use Green Slime - from memory I think I have 1 flat in 12 years of riding my DRZ; I've had 1 flat on my

street bike. I do tend to change the inner tube every time I fit new tyres.

it cost a fortune to keep getting new inner tubes fitted.

Not sure why it costs a fortune? I have 3 large tyre irons and a patch kit, total cost $30? Total time

is about 1 hour to change tyre/inner tube.

Gerry

EXACTLY! You own a dirtbike/Supermoto, learn how to change your own tires, and buy good quality tire patches. I think my rear tube has 4 or 5 patches on it now.