Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha WR250R

Anyone out there ever ride one of these? What are your thoughts on them? There's a left over 2015 at my dealer they're trying to get rid of.  I was thinking about maybe picking up something like this for doing guilt free dual sport miles then basically converting my exc to xcw status or maybe even trading it for a 450 xc.  I know the performance is gonna be way less than my 500 but that's not really the point.  The maintenance intervals on the Yamaha are street bike like which really appeals to me.  What do you guys think?

A friend of ours used to ride one and just moved to a Beta, rode it a couple times while he owned it.  All depends on what you plan on doing with it, for any semi serious off road riding the suspension needs work - it really lacks damping in the rear and spring rates are marginal at best.  The bike seemed bullet proof overall though, he was constantly high in the RPMs trying to make power so it will be the exact opposite of the KTM 500.  Not a terrible bike but they are heavy and after owning one of the best dual sports made I personally think you will be let down. IMO save the cash and insurance money for parts when the orange bike needs a rebuild, you will be happier putting extra time on the KTM.

• Like 2

Great bikes, heavy, have a lot of unnecessary electrical garbage. Plan on spending $1000-$1500 for a pipe, fuel tuner, tires, rim locks, hand guards, bars, pegs are junk. That would probably cover it

I know were your coming from. I don't have a Wr but along with my exc i have a Klx250s.I got to admit I love that bike. Sure it doesn't have exc power or suspension but it is one fun add gas and go bike. The Wr is better suspended bike and injected. I vote do it. Good luck!

I have owned 2 of them absolutely fantastic bike for a 250 and not horrible on power for being a dual sport but its most likely going to fee like a turd compared to the 500, now having said that I personally would pick up another for the right price just to piss around on maybe do some longer distance camping trips.

DfwIdIi.jpg

u73Z1PN.jpg

my other one I got ride of just before the 500

Lc2DPmA.jpg

YT6VraQ.jpg

Edited by r6realtor
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Still trying to figure out what I want to do. Wish I could ride a WR250R before committing to buying one.  They look like fun bikes.

definitely a fun bike just under powered compared to the 500 obviously,( a huge displacement factor) i always felt like you had to ride the wr like a 2 stroke, all the power is in the upper range of the motor,(make it scream!) I personally don't think its horrible for what it is, hell i rode mine just like I do my 500(like it was a full on dirt bike and it did great) just don't expect the snap of the ktm..

I had an 09. Great bike. I'd rate it for 80% street/ 20% dirt. I sold it because I did not like the lack of power.

A WR450f is actually lighter & makes loads more power. I had both, which I sold, & bought 2 KTMs.

I own a 500exc and a 10' wr250r (backup/buddy bike). For being a bit heavier, it hides its weight REALLY well. The smooth power and low but still tall enough seat height allows you to be really comfortable going fast. And the engine maintenance schedules make

Owning it a breeze! Valve checks at every 26k miles... I got rid of the huge license plate assembly and put a shorai battery in it, looks like a dirt bike now. The only "big" dual sport I'd take on single track.

• Like 1