Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 hard to start after falls

My son's 2004 KX65 is really hard to get started after laying it over or any other type of wreck. I'm talking adult kicking 10-15 times with throttle pinned. One or two kicks starts it cold, warm, or any condition as long as it's been upright. The bike runs very good after starting. I added new spark plug but really no change there.

My son races harescrambles and just moved up to the 65. He lost a lot of tim after a spill early on at his first race with the KX. A teenaged chase rider said he kicked the thing forever before getting it started. The chase rider probably didn't know the tricks of cranking a flooded engine but it shouldn't be that hard to start.

I've tried on the trail to turn the gas off and lay the bike over to run all the gas out then stand back up and gas back on but it was still hard to start.

Any ideas?

The float level is perhaps set too high or, the inlet needle/seat not sealing properly,

making the higher fuel level more likely to flood the engine when tipped over.

(extra gas not leaking out of the overflow vents fast enough, gets sucked into the engine/stalls)

make sure the float actualy 'floats' properly as well.

Some carb designs will allow the engine to stay running even if laying on it's side for quite a while,

I've set the fuel level on my YZ125 about 1mm lower than stock and it never stalls out no matter the tumble/angle.