Sign in to follow this  

2014 498RR - Bottom motor mount bolt nearly fell out!

I did a 3 day/482 mile tour of Death Valley over the weekend (HOLY S*$T that place is nonstop spectacular on a dirt bike!) and by pure chance noticed that my bottom motor mount bolt had backed itself out entirely and was kept in the bike by the aftermarket skid plate I had recently installed.  I didn't lose the motor mount bolt and was able to talk a random rancher into using his tools to drop the skid plate and retighten the motor mount bolt about half way through day 2.

Questions:

1. Did I do any damage to the motor by riding it at least 250 miles with a very loose motor mount bolt?
  2. I saw zero loctite on the end of the bolt - is this a common oversight in the Beta factory for this bike?
  3. Should I use blue loctite or red loctite for this application?
  4. What is the recommended torque for this bolt and the other motor mount bolt near the exhaust flange?

Thanks all

Edited by mtnmanseth

How about reading the manual?

Clearly in the maintance section says to check all nuts and bolts.  Along with a list of other items before each ride.

Even goes so far as to tell you to wear helmet and goggles and other gear.

Usually no loctite needed if checked but blue would be fine,red if never pull a P.M. on it.

Later George

• Like 2

I did a 3 day/482 mile tour of Death Valley over the weekend (HOLY S*$T that place is nonstop spectacular on a dirt bike!) and by pure chance noticed that my bottom motor mount bolt had backed itself out entirely and was kept in the bike by the aftermarket skid plate I had recently installed.  I didn't lose the motor mount bolt and was able to talk a random rancher into using his tools to drop the skid plate and retighten the motor mount bolt about half way through day 2.

Questions:

1. Did I do any damage to the motor by riding it at least 250 miles with a very loose motor mount bolt?
  2. I saw zero loctite on the end of the bolt - is this a common oversight in the Beta factory for this bike?
  3. Should I use blue loctite or red loctite for this application?
  4. What is the recommended torque for this bolt and the other motor mount bolt near the exhaust flange?

Thanks all

1) It is unlikely you caused any damage

2) If the bolts are torqued properly there isn't technically a need for loctite. I prefer to use it "just in case" though.

3) If you are going to use loctite for any external bolts like this I would use blue loctite. I think red is damned near permanent unless you apply a lot of heat, and I don't think that's what you're after as there is a good chance at some stage the motor will need to come out of the frame.

4) Beta USE have a good info sheet in the Support section. Try this link out - http://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Torque%20Values-RR-RS%204%20Stroke.pdf

Such a helpful response, thanks George.  You don't know me and how meticulous I am maintaining my bikes... this was an oversight and a learning lesson.  But thanks for taking the time to scold me.

The reason you are being scolded is because you were sent a bulletin from American Beta to have these re-torqued by the dealer. More than likely it was in your spam mail and you missed it. 

I doubt that any damage was done. Not to be a smart ass, but when you took delivery of the bike why did you not put a socket/wrench on every single exposed nut and bolt on the bike? That's just common sense on any bike. It blows my mind that there are guys that buy a bike off the showroom floor, put fuel in and ride without checking anything. Lesson learned for sure. 

Don't feel too bad. Here was my oversight on a 1000+ mile ride:

IMG_0230_zps93b33319.jpg

The other question I have is why are you peeling off miles in Death Valley without proper repair tools?

Thanks guys.

I bought the bike from a guy on Craigslist with 400 miles on it and was unaware of a service bulletin about the motor mount issue.  I do all the work myself and don't have a dealer who communicates things like this to me.  I absolutely did put a wrench on every bolt the very day I brought it home to make it "mine"... about 1,500 miles ago.  It vibrated itself loose, for sure.

The Ricochet skid plate I installed (and like a lot) mounts with large torx heads.  The lower motor mount bolt is recessed behind the frame so a ratchet and socket set with a shallow extension is needed to tighten it.  I already carry a fairly extensive tool kit, but I suppose I should consider carrying a 3/8 socket set and torx head kit to pull the skid plate in Death Valley in the future.  Com'on guys, cut me a break here  :ride:  :goofy:  😛

Edited by mtnmanseth
  • Like 3

That's fair. Death Valley is unforgiving. FWIW the stock Beta tool kit has everything you need to almost tear down the whole bike.

So how was the ride? Did you hit the dunes while you were there?