Sign in to follow this  

Battery issues need help

Hey, new to TT so hope I'm posting in the correct forum here.

2013 DRZ400S supermoto setup, 3x3 airmod, 434 big bore kit, a few other minor add ons.

Rode it home the other day, went back out to start it 10 minutes later and the battery was dead. Never did that before but ok.. Charged it and it started back up just fine. I ride this thing basically daily. I rode it to school, no problem starting it up going there, but when I got back to the bike the battery was too low to start. I didn't have any choice but to jump it which got it running. 5 miles down the road it dies again. What could be going on here besides just a bad battery?

Im relatively new to riding and moto maitenence and repair so please take it easy on me. Can someone provide me with a checklist as to what they would do to diagnose and or resolve this issue?

Additionally any references to learning more about moto mechanics in general..

I'm thinking to just replace the battery but don't want a temporary solution to a long term problem (if there is one)

Thanks

^ ya, that's a good article from Erik to get you started. Do you have a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter)? They can be had relatively cheaply from auto parts stores. Do you have a general knowledge of electrical?

If you get stuck, just ask away here.

• Like 1

If it is the original battery it could be dead, especially if it sits in the winter without a tender or you mostly do short rides. Some auto places can test it for you.

Its a three year old battery, change it.

nah you gotta check the E system like PT said.  once you establish any faults or correct operation then have the battery tested.

do the free power mod and maintain your battery im on my second one since 2003 w no issues

• Like 1