Sign in to follow this  

California Hungry Valley opinions

I live in Northern California and because of all the rain there is really no where to ride right now.  Thinking about making the trip down South to ride Hungry Valley.  I've never been.  Just wondering what people think of this place.  Thanks, Brian.

There is a lot of desert closer to you than Hungry Valley that has much more to offer.

• Like 1

The valley itself is OK, if you just gotta ride, but much more fun when the forest service opens the single track in the spring. Until then you're better off in the desert if you're gonna drive that far to ride.

The valley itself is OK, if you just gotta ride, but much more fun when the forest service opens the single track in the spring. Until then you're better off in the desert if you're gonna drive that far to ride.

Can we get a full size image of your avatar?  Thanks...

There is a lot of desert closer to you than Hungry Valley that has much more to offer.

Where is the closest desert riding area to Livermore (East Bay).

Looking at the map its probably about the same drive time, but I'd rather go out somewhere near Mojave. There are a bunch of guys here that know that area well.

You're closer to Nevada than down here. The Nor Cal guys used to go to Moonrocks and talked highly of it. Coincidentally that area is named Hungry Valley as well. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/nevada_04449/ride_7daf.htm

Can we get a full size image of your avatar?  Thanks...

I'd be glad to, but I ripped that image off my old computer. Sorry.

• Like 1

Come on down ... But don't waste your time over at Hungry valley. If your coming that far I'm assuming your pulling a trailer and camping out. If so, stage/camp off the 395 north of Johannesburg - Randsburg at an open area called the football field...to the east is Spangler Hills...to the south is Red Mtn., Fremont Peak and the Rands...to the west is a vast area of old mines and then farther west is the El Pasos ....to the north you can actually get to Ridgecrest. There's lots to do out there and if it does rain it just makes it better. Unlike Hungry Valley, if it gets much rain...you better like mud.

If you do come down let us know...most of us would be happy to show you around or at least point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

probably Hurlong, california. 

if you want to do some driving Jaw bone canyon waaay down south is supposed to be bomb.  i rode there once years ago.  it was ok, not my thang though.

and also there is Nevada desert.  which is closer than jaw bone to you.  Toulon is where the Wild Horse enduro is. 

i also road a race back in the early 90's called "The Desert Challenge," that went from Fallon to Lovelock.  best desert riding i ever did was on that race!

then there is Virginia city.

If you ride MX, unlike most of the posters in this thread, Hungry Valley has 2 mx tracks and prep them on Tues & friday mornings.  Wed closed for a so called deep grooming, so thursday is also a great day to ride .... For 5 bucks !  You can also trail ride from the track, and there is a newer trail in the same canyon, which I've heard is a ton of fun.  The weekends are a waste of time in the main valley, but during weekdays you mostly have the place to yourself.    You can also head up the 138 from there and hit the desert.

It’s a good place to ride on a non-holiday Monday thru Thursday otherwise it’s a zoo.  Riding is much like Carnegie only HV is much larger in area.  Most trails are green circle with a couple blue and nothing really black diamond.  There are a couple short hill climbs.  Good for a family with various age children at different skill levels.  Not so much fun for an experienced capable trail rider.  HV does have an MX practice track for free and a maintained MX track which is open to the public now and then for fee use.  Most camping sites are good.  There is no potable water.  Toilets are outhouses.  Yellow jackets, bees, are everywhere in the park.   It can get really really cold in the winter at that high an elevation especially when the wind blows which it often does.  If there is snow on the ground, the park is closed till the snow melts.

Enjoy your ride!!

Hungry Valley + Rain = Snot for a week

Spangler OHV staging anywhere near Searles Station Cutoff would be much more fun

Just to provide a visual for "Snot for a week", this was two days ago after a fairly mild overnight rain:

IMG_0212.jpg

Just to provide a visual for "Snot for a week", this was two days ago after a fairly mild overnight rain:

📎IMG_0212.jpg

^ like that ^

The secret to riding in the mud, you have to go fast enough so the mud flings off the tires.

🙄  🤦