Sign in to follow this  

How does Yamaha Speed Sensitive Suspension work?

I talk a big game to my friends about how my yz has the sss. Trouble is I don't fully understand what it does and how it does it. This is my best explanation so far...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453247982.316288.jpg

A simple explanation would be great, but I'll take a complicated one too.

All suspension is speed sensitive.  That's how dampers work.  Damping force changes in proportion to how fast the suspension is moving.  SSS is just a marketing thing.

• Like 1

All suspension is speed sensitive. That's how dampers work. Damping force changes in proportion to how fast the suspension is moving. SSS is just a marketing thing.

Hmmmm interesting. Sounds like something a non-Yamaha owner would say. Jk Edited by Posridin559

Didn't some older fork designs have a 'travel control valve', to increase damping the deeper it got the stroke, no matter if stroke speed was fast or slow?

As for 'SSS', I figured got it's name by the floating mid-valve design, to simplify the reasoning:

at slower suspension speeds the fluid is by-passing the midvalve shim stack, most of the damping done is by the base valve.

At faster speeds, the float gap closes up and the mid-valve kicks in, increasing the overall damping.

About to service a set of 2007 Showa forks off my friend's CRF250R,

guessing the internals will mostly look exactly like the SSS forks from my YZ125.

Edited by mlatour

Hmmmm interesting. Sounds like something a non-Yamaha owner would say. Jk

Check his Sig...

Adam might be one of the few people around who actually knows something about suspension. Well enough so to make a good little business out of it...

The 05 had a large bottoming system but that also position sensitive ,all suspension is speed sensitive as saud before

Check his Sig...

Adam might be one of the few people around who actually knows something about suspension. Well enough so to make a good little business out of it...

Totally. I was just joking around. That's the kind of expertise I'm looking for when I come to thumper [emoji106]

All suspension is speed sensitive.  That's how dampers work.  Damping force changes in proportion to how fast the suspension is moving.  SSS is just a marketing thing.

Agree 100%...

While the new "SSS" 06+ KYB's is good suspension there is nothing special about it & the spring Showa's reworked are just as good in my experience.   In my case I'm running an 07 showa b-kit that is a notch above the SSS  KYB's ridden.