DRZ SM fork change back to standard

Last summer I bought a DRZ SM with a set of XR650 forks on it. I recently bought a pair of standard USD forks for it and they fit nicely, however when it came to fitting the wheels back on the spindle wasn't the same, so I bought a new spindle for the regular forks and it doesn't fit through the hub on the wheel, the wheels have a talon hub on them, but they are set up for an XR spindle, does anybody know what parts I need to buy so that it will fit the DRZ again? Or if I will have to buy a new set of wheels?

Thankyou

Last summer I bought a DRZ SM with a set of XR650 forks on it. I recently bought a pair of standard USD forks for it and they fit nicely, however when it came to fitting the wheels back on the spindle wasn't the same, so I bought a new spindle for the regular forks and it doesn't fit through the hub on the wheel, the wheels have a talon hub on them, but they are set up for an XR spindle, does anybody know what parts I need to buy so that it will fit the DRZ again? Or if I will have to buy a new set of wheels?

Thankyou

spindle = axle?

get whatever the stock axle is for the forks and change the wheel bearings to fit that axle. if the bearing spacers are wrong, cut some from steel pipe. no biggie.

always change the simplest part, and always change it to stock or as close to stock as possible, so all the other stock parts will fit in the future.

• Like 1

What are the components that make up the internal of the hub called? In main the shaft/tube whatever that the bearings are attached to?

bikebandit has parts fiche online, you can search for any section and find just about any part, down to 1/4" o-rings:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-suzuki-dr-z400s-front-wheel/o/m139166sch237539

generally, you'll see "hub, spoke, rim, axle, bearing, internal bearing spacer, external bearing spacer" etc for parts in that area. your local industrial supply house has lots of bearing sizes and types, some of which can be used to make x hub work with y axle. 

The OE p/n is 08130-69047. (Bike Bandit uses their own numbers) That means the bearings are 6904. (most bearing and hardware numbers work like that, the info is built into the number) 6904 bearings have a spec of 20x37x9. So, you need an ID of 20mm. All you need to do is see what bearings are in the hub and find a corresponding bearing that has the same OD and thickness with a 20mm ID. Get the proper spacer and seals if needed and you're gtg.

Okay so I took the hub apart and I got the aluminium spacer out, it has a rim on it for the bearing to sit against, is that necessary or would it be okay to use a piece of pipe without it? From what you guys have already said I'm guessing it would

1453323795875.jpg

Does anybody have the O/D of a DRZ axle, i dont have one at hand to measure

20mm (or a hair less) Since the OE bearings ID is 20mm, the axle needs to slide through that. The ring on the spacer is so it doesn't fall down into the hub making it hard to get the axle through when it is assembled.

I would guess 19mm-19.5mm. OE part number for the nut is 09159-18018 and the washer is 09160-18034. That "18" in the number usually refers to the diameter. If the threads are 18mm, I would think the axle shaft is a bit bigger so it can be threaded to 18mm. I would also assume tighter is better without an actual interference fit.

Edited by Bandit0

I think to make my life a whole lot easier I will just sell these excel talon rims and buy standard DRZ rims instead! Take everything back to stock and have fun riding it, not having go mess around with it all haha. Thanks for everyone help, at least I learned how to change wheel bearings, silver lining and all that hahaha

• Like 1