Sign in to follow this  

2008 yz 250

Hey i have a 2008 yz 250 every gear worked except 4th jumped in and out took it to a shop told me i need alot more then 4th gear says he sees some wearing well apparently the gears and shaft that needs replaced is about 700$ in parts so we arent going that route i found a used 2005 yz 250 trans on ebay my question is will it fit my 2008 ?

And thats everything ? Whole transmission

Believe some trans parts were updated. Used trans parts are a gamble!

• Like 1

Buying used transmission parts is a gamble just as Phil said, trust me I know. Im $200 in the hole (99 used transmission and shift forks)  and still not got mine shifting right :banghead:  . Im looking at buying new parts, not used, in hopes of fixing the problem.

Buying used transmission parts is a gamble just as Phil said, trust me I know. Im $200 in the hole (99 used transmission and shift forks) and still not got mine shifting right :banghead: . Im looking at buying new parts, not used, in hopes of fixing the problem.

Think it may be your mechanic ? I see some on ebay and its a shop with 100% feedback and will guarantee my money back if not working proper ?

I do all the wrenching on my bike myself lol probably the reason I can't figure out what's going on. Some people have good luck with buying used from eBay. If they have good feedback with a no hassle return policy you may want to give it a shot.

I do all the wrenching on my bike myself lol probably the reason I can't figure out what's going on. Some people have good luck with buying used from eBay. If they have good feedback with a no hassle return policy you may want to give it a shot.

Lol dident mean to insult but yea i think i am going to give it a shot ive called a couple dealers and was told the 2005 will work perfectly

Yes the 05 will work. Good luck, hope it works for you. If and when you get it. Could you count the teeth on the 2nd gears and report back here. They should be 15/23. My bike is also an 05 and it came with 16/25.

• Like 1

Yes the 05 will work. Good luck, hope it works for you. If and when you get it. Could you count the teeth on the 2nd gears and report back here. They should be 15/23. My bike is also an 05 and it came with 16/25.

Ill ask my mechanic bro and get back asap

The shafts too? That's pretty work out. Usually the forks will go bad due to wear/bad shifting, then the gears get hammered. Maybe you can get away with gears and 4th gear fork?

Thats what i am being told but who knows id rather a whole trans to save money and time lol

Ill ask my mechanic bro and get back asap

Thats what i am being told but who knows id rather a whole trans to save money and time lol

Best thing is to grab a manual and start measuring parts for service limits, otherwise you might be replacing things "just because"

Best thing is to grab a manual and start measuring parts for service limits, otherwise you might be replacing things "just because"

I dont have it my mechanic does lol