Sign in to follow this  

would you use this oil in your 450?

I bought a bunch of this stuff on sale, but I'm wondering if I should just stick with Honda HP4. Thoughts?

Edited by cchurchi

It would be worth a try although high mileage or not I'd still change it at normal intervals. Someone else could chime in if its good for a motorcycle unless I missed that it is.

It's Mobil 1, 10W-40, high milage. It susposed to protect better at high engine temps.

If it's designed for cars, which I suspect, then it shouldn't go into the transmission side. I would stick with the Honda oil.

buy an 18.9L jug of rotella T 15w40 and youll be good for 2-3 years.

use it in both the engine side and tranny side and dont worry anymore.  its cheap when you buy it bulk.

• Like 1

This is the oil.  I've never heard of Rotella, what makes it a better oil for the engine side of the CRF's?  I know the Mobil 1 is so "slippery" that it will cause the clutch to slip if you tried to use it on the transmission side.

IMG_17401.JPG

This is the oil. I've never heard of Rotella, what makes it a better oil for the engine side of the CRF's? I know the Mobil 1 is so "slippery" that it will cause the clutch to slip if you tried to use it on the transmission side.

Rotella on this site is what the kool-aid was to Jim Jones' cult...
  • Like 1

never heard of rotella?!?!  come onnnn...

rotella got me 380 engine hours out of my OEM crank, and 4 years of abusive riding from my clutch plates. all on a done up 450 in tight single track 50% of the time. im very hard on my clutch.

combine that with the fact you can get a 5 gallon jug for about $50 USD and you cant go wrong. plus you dont need to worry about buying 2 different types of oils, and if something gets mixed up and you used the "slippery" oil in your clutch you ruin 150$ worth of plates.

• Like 1

Rotella on this site is what the kool-aid was to Jim Jones' cult...

thank god you said it!!!! 

Rotella, I got the word from ppl that have never been on here! He had 150 hours on his crf and had not needed to adjust valves either. Rekluse reccomends it for their clutches..

Edited by jaeger

rotella.. seriously. 

And can only be bought in the USA

Rotella here too. No problems. The oil you have in the picture isn't Jaso-ma rated which means NO, DON'T USE IT.

It's perfectly fine in the engine side. But may make the clutch slip if you use it in the trans.

so Jaeger wrote:

Rotella, I got the word from ppl that have never been on here! He had 150 hours on his crf and had not needed to adjust valves either. Rekluse reccomends it for their clutches..

Which one of you guys is correct ?  Ive been running it for almost 10 years on 5 different bikes, and have never had clutch slip @ all.  I'm on Jeager's Team !

• Like 1