Gear for moab

I'm going to moab at the end of April for 9 days with a group of riders. I need some advice on some things I should get for when I'm riding.I plan getting hydration pack and tubes some tools and other basic stuff but want to advice from riders that have been there and what they'd recommend. Also will be riding a 2003 ktm 450 exc that's street legal

This topic may get moved BUT it reminds me of my first trip to Moab and grant this was with a mountain bike, the best advice I got was to get your beer and booze in some other state cus at least in 2000 among other things Utah had some weird liquor laws.

I have to say I've been so a lot of places in Canada/USA/Mexico and in NA, Utah and particularly Moab is a spectacular place.

It's on my top 5 to get to this year and IMO I would be putting on some trials or hybrid tires.

Hope you enjoy your trip

https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1162898-First-week-long-dirtbike-trip%2C-advice%3F/page__view__findpost__p__12786463

Here a few things from an earlier post. You might like bits of this thread. I take lots of tools on big trips and have never thought I wished I left most of them at home. There have been many trips that I didn't bring enough tools and wished I had them. They all stay locked in the truck for the trip and come out as needed. Talk to your group before you go. My riding buddies and I have a loose pre assignment of who brings what in their hydration pack on rides. Obviously it's subject to change depending on who's riding but there's minimal advantage to everyone bringing the same tools on rides. Have a couple people bring tools and a couple bring tubes and a couple bring some emergency first aid stuff. My bet is you have a few experienced people leading this trip so don't be afraid to ask questions and be well prepared.

I'll be in grand junction for 10 days at the same time and it's a great time to go. Cool at night, not too hot during the day.

Have a good trip

Edited by Splat03

Ya i will be April 29th to may 6th. Yes a few of the guys in the group have been to moab a few times I did get some info from one but liked to know more. I will probably Carry first aid being that I'm a first responder. Plan on going through my bike have new chain, sprockets,radiator hoses and engine ice coolant,spark plug, and changing all the fluids and other little things. Plan on packing for 2 days each day trip we take because you never know how long you will be out for. Plan on taking any spare parts and will probably take oil and filters and air filter and other fluids

d7ba9ffe-45a4-4303-b1e6-3b9e20de8e27.jpg

Edited by Usrocks93

Weather out there can change in an instant so no matter how warm, pack a light rain jacket and maybe one of those reflective space blankets....we had one helluva rain/wind/hail storm hit us one day out there and luckily were close to the truck and trailer so we rode it out there. AMAZING place, you will need to practice your use of momentum to get up big step ups. I would be doing extra workouts for several weeks before hand too. carry lots of water and some food and snacks. GPS and maps are critical . Be REALLY sure you can ride to your absolute physical and mental limits for hours if you choose to ride 5MOH trail too. Have fun, we had a blast.

Joe

• Like 1

I have only mountainbiked in Moab. Made many trips to there. While not as prone to cactus thorns like further south in Arizona, there is still that risk. I'd be more inclined for either a mousse insert or ultra heavyduty tubes. Poking a tubeless setup would take the fun out of the trip. 

April can be really hot and also quite cold. Woken up to frost, and then mid 90s during the day. You can usually see rain storms roll in, but they come fast and usually heavy. 

We went two years ago just about the exact same time of year.  Even though the temperature didn't read very high, there is virtually zero shade and you feel the scorch of the sun. Get a big hydration pack and fill it with ice and water every morning.  Bring plenty of food.  Although it never rained on us, it can flash flood in the spring.  Pay attention to the weather.  Out of six guys, we had eight flats over three days.  By the last day, we were all running 25 psi.  You need to be able to fix flats or use some type of air-free system like bib mousse.  Depending on what trails you choose, the going can be much slower than you'd think.  Our average speed was only about 15 mph.  We spent an entire day on Poison Spider Mesa which is very slow going.  The Sovereign area is fun for bikes, faster average speed.  Someone in your group should be able to read a map and navigate.  This is essential.  Buy good maps at the bicycle shop.

Nine days eh?  That's a lot of riding.  I guess I'd pace myself if the trip was that long.  You may want newish (but not new) tires if you're planning on 300+ miles.

One request.  Spend money in town freely.  It makes a real difference to the people and the sport.