Flags and passing clarification please

Unless something has changed -

Any yellow is strictly "use caution"  You may do anything you normally would, just be aware something is going on.  

Medical flag - Severe danger to riders/officials or medical personnel attending to a downed rider.   Wheels on the ground.  You may not pass or jump.  Wheels must stay on the ground over any obstacles.

Edited by DethWshBkr_

From the rule book

4.15 Flags and Lights

a. Solid Blue Flag :

1. Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster riders.

2. When conditions allow, move out of the fast line.

3. Hold your line (don’t ride erratically) and do not impede the faster riders progress.

4. Riders disregarding the blue flag may be black-flagged at the discretion of Race Director.

b. Yellow Flag or Yellow Flashing Light:

1. Indicates serious hazard on or near the track. This includes the sighting or cool down laps.

2. Passing is allowed

3. Proceed with extreme caution.

c. Black Flag:

1. Indicates a problem with a rider’s motorcycle or a disqualification. PROCEDURES RACE RULES & 28

2. A number board displayed with the flag indicates the rider being signaled.

3. The black flagged rider must carefully reduce speed and proceed around the course to the mechanics area.

4. Black-flagged riders are not permitted to return to the racecourse unless cleared by the Race Director.

d. Red Flag:

1. May be displayed anywhere on course.

2. Indicates the practice, qualifying or race has been stopped.

3. Reduce speed and proceed safely as directed by a race official.  

e. White Flag with Red Cross or Red Flashing Light:  

1. This flag or a red flashing light may be displayed at the beginning of a triple jump or a series of jumps.

2. The riders must roll each jump individually with no passing and exercise extreme caution until they are past the area of concern. When used on a triple jump, the area of concern is at a minimum, the whole obstacle, I.E. if a rider is down on the face of the triple or after the first or second jump you must not jump any section of the triple.  

3. This includes the sighting or cool down laps.

4. Takes precedence over all other flags that may be displayed.

5. The penalty for non-compliance of this flag during a race will be the loss of number of positions gained plus two additional positions in the final results for that race. If no positions were gained, the penalty will be the loss of two positions in the final results for that race.

6. The penalty for non-compliance of this flag during qualifying practices will be the loss of the riders fastest lap time during that session.

Actually re reading my post...I think Brayton should have gotten docked also.

At the medical flag, Brayton doubled past it.   Yes, he cased it, but he doubled it.   

-Roczen, didn't exactly roll the jumps, but he was what I would say OK.

-Canard doubled right out of the med flag.   Canard doubled after the first roll.

-Anderson doubled into the flagged jump, and doubled immediately after, however shut down to avoid a full pass.

Technically speaking, I think 3 of the 4 there violated the medical flag rules.  Roczen is kind of iffy, so we'll say OK to him.   

I know I'd be filing some sort of protest if I were Anderson's team, as I could come up with a few arguments with the rulebook.   I'd probably be told I won't win it, but you could put forth some arguments.

2. The riders must roll each jump individually with no passing and exercise extreme caution until they are past the area of concern. When used on a triple jump, the area of concern is at a minimum, the whole obstacle, I.E. if a rider is down on the face of the triple or after the first or second jump you must not jump any section of the triple.  

*It was NOT a triple, but a rhythm section.  So the "area of concern" seems like it requires rider interpretation.   

*There was NO downed rider, or medical crew.  This means to me "Where was the area of concern"?     Since there was no rider down, what tells me where the end of the "medical area" was?  

*There was obviously confusion on the crews part too.   The helmet guy running along side the track stopped and looked kind of confused as to where the alleged injured rider was.   Also, the medical crew was standing along side the track.  

I'm just saying as a rider or manager, I'd be filing a protest from these things I picked out really, really quickly.

I've raced, like lots of you have, and I think they need a bit more leniency and flexibility in this.  I only raced local stuff, but depending on how into the race you are and if you are in a heated battle, I can see how you could very easily miss a flag or at the least, see it late enough that you can't slow down in time.  These bikes don't have air brakes.  ?

Seems like if you miss a flag or see it too late and do a jump but don't advance your position, then maybe a warning or something like that.  If you're a repeat offender then sure, dock someone positions, fine them, whatever. 

I know that there is a safety concern, but hell, I once pulled off a lap early after winning the first moto and leading all of the laps in the second moto.  It was a night race and I swear I saw the checkered flag!  I was in the pits and taking off my helmet, and my buddy runs over and yells, "What the hell are you doing?" ?

Seems like there should be a logical way to deal with this rather than docking someone the first time unless it was obvious or they advanced a position or more on the track.  Just my $.02

• Like 1

From the rule book

4.15 Flags and Lights

a. Solid Blue Flag :

1. Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster riders.

2. When conditions allow, move out of Canards landing zone

3. Hold your line (don’t ride erratically) and do not impede the faster riders progress.

Important Blue Flag Correction, Must be Noted...