Sign in to follow this  

Headlights?

So i just bought a 2005 crf230f and i was wondering what headlights would be best for backup in case im on the trail and it gets dark early or for when i want to go on a night ride in the dunes or even because its getting dark so early?

I want something good but i don't want to spend more than $60-$70.

Shop ebay for a used XR number plate with head light, or a CRF250X/450X. Most of the XR and all of the X OEM lights are 35watt single beam, but hi/lo bulbs are available, as are some higher wattage halogen bulbs, and there are some HID conversions, but that would bust your budget. 

Some XRs used a glass lens with an a 55 watt automotive H3 bulb.

And then there are aftermarket units like Polisport, Baja Design, TraiTech, Maier, etc that may be available used.

Since you are in WA you could also visit one of the Bent Bike locations (Auburn & Lynnwood).

Riding during the day with the head light on helps reduce head ons.

• Like 1

I've been considering getting one of those small LED light bars that you can find these days on Amazon.  I'm pretty sure someone on this site had pictures of one.

It's cheap - like $20 bucks, and puts out lots of light.  There are flood and spot versions - not sure what would be best.

I think the best part is that the current draw is low enough that the stock stator can drive it with no issues.

Just need to find a spot for the switch, or just leave it always on!

• Like 1

I had one of these on my motorized mountain bike, they were so good. As good as oem motorcycle head lights. They are 8.4 V but they can handle 12v.

They are rechargeable and you don't have to worry about the bike's battery if you hook them to their battery.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/5000lm-2x-cree-xm-l-t6-led-head-front-bicycle-lamp-bike-light-headlamp-headlight_p2565396.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping

Edited by Yap Yap
  • Like 1

My take on head light.The Led I use is super strong,could not use it on road.Off road great small compact,uses little energy.More important then anything.When my bike chart wheels,down hill climb.The 13$ LED is wrecked,no crying for 13$.If I buy 100$ headlight,wreck it.I would just say.You learned your lesson now buy 13$ Headlight.I'm just tiring,to out think myself.

My take on head light.The Led I use is super strong,could not use it on road.Off road great small compact,uses little energy.More important then anything.When my bike chart wheels,down hill climb.The 13$ LED is wrecked,no crying for 13$.If I buy 100$ headlight,wreck it.I would just say.You learned your lesson now buy 13$ Headlight.I'm just tiring,to out think myself.

Pretty hard to wreck a headlight but a good point. 

I got this LED one off of Amazon for $43.  It's very bright does a good job without demanding much from your stator.  The small side LED lights are a joke, though and came off almost right away but I didn't care.  Also, it has two multicolored light bulbs that I didn't like so I disabled them.

41XQq7d4WiL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJMUT08?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Edited by rhody_romes

I got this LED one off of Amazon for $43.  It's very bright does a good job without demanding much from your stator.  The small side LED lights are a joke, though and came off almost right away but I didn't care.  Also, it has two multicolored light bulbs that I didn't like so I disabled them.

41XQq7d4WiL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJMUT08?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I had one of those http://www.lightinthebox.com/5000lm-2x-cree-xm-l-t6-led-head-front-bicycle-lamp-bike-light-headlamp-headlight_p2565396.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shoppingI can tell you they are no joke and are as bright as a car light.